Chapter 111

Shirou felt disheartened as Merlin claimed there was no way to go back to his world. He suspected that Merlin might be hiding something from him. However, Shirou couldn't find any clues to return home from Merlin.

Adding to his distress, Kay tricked Shirou into doing the estate's accounts.

"I've completed the calculations. The balance for this month is 10,323 semis," Shirou declared, setting his pen down and meeting Kay's gaze.

Kay's jaw dropped in astonishment. "That was fast! It takes three days and three servants to complete the monthly balance of the estate."

"Don't you need to verify it?"

Kay shook his head, "No need. I believe in you."

He smiled, recalling the recruitment skills taught by his father, Ector. But Shirou was not as moved as Kay had expected and simply nodded. This made Kay feel frustrated, causing him to doubt the recruitment skills taught by his father.

Kay soon regained his self-motivation, telling himself that the harder it was to recruit someone, the more talented they were. He was determined to persevere for the sake of his younger sister.

Shirou watched as Kay transformed from feeling disheartened to becoming invigorated as if he had taken a stimulant. It left Shirou bewildered. He couldn't help but wonder when Kay became so eccentric.

Moreover, Kay's gaze was fixed on him, which made Shirou feel uncomfortable and creeped out. His body shuddered with goosebumps.

Finally, he decided it would be better to keep his distance from Kay for a while.

Little did Shirou know that as soon as he distanced himself from Kay, Kay cheerfully approached him. Despite his helpless protest, Kay refused to leave him alone.

"What's on your mind, Kay? Just spit it out."

Kay waved his hand dismissively. "Oh, nothing, nothing at all."

Shirou distanced himself even more, but Kay stuck to him like a piece of gum.

"What's going on?" he asked, feeling annoyed.

Kay rubbed his hands together eagerly and asked, "Guinevere, have you ever considered being an official?"

"No, I'm not interested," he replied bluntly.

"Why not?" Kay asked, puzzled. "As a domestic official, you could get close to the king, become a knight, and receive countless honors! You would have beautiful women vying for your attention, and the people would admire you as well!"

Shirou shook his head, "I'm just not interested,"

He couldn't envision himself living in a land that was plagued by chaos, with poor entertainment facilities and savage people. But most importantly, this place wasn't his home.

As Shirou left, Kay watched him go, his expression puzzled. He couldn't believe that someone could reject such a tempting offer. Money and women could be refused, but the admiration and glory of the people were things that any knight could not resist. Yet that guy had refused so decisively.

"No, this won't do! His way of thinking is problematic, and it needs to be corrected before I have a chance to recruit him," thought Kay. And with that, he followed Shirou once again.

During lunchtime, Shirou got his porridge and sat in a relatively secluded place to eat.

A moment later, Kay sat down with his porridge in front of Shirou and began talking about the glory of being a knight. But Shirou rolled his eyes and ignored him, focusing on his own meal instead.