Chapter 173

At nightfall, King Ban hosted a grand banquet at the palace to entertain Shirou and his fifty warriors.

Amidst the clinking of glasses and cups, King Ban sat on his throne and lifted his glass in a toast to Shirou, "King Arthur, to be honest, I have heard much of Camelot's reputation for some time now. When your father, Uther, was still alive, I praised him as a hero and believed his successor would be no less. And now, having seen you, it is clear that my beliefs were justified!"

Shirou also raised his glass and smiled, "Actually, my father often spoke of King Ban's renown. He spoke of a great hero and warrior, a king among the Franks, who was sure to achieve great things!"

"Your praise is too kind, too kind!" King Ban chuckled joyfully.

After a few more cups, King Ban asked in a calm tone, "I'm just curious, where did King Arthur hear about my supposed perilous situation? My brother and I have already repelled the Burgundians. What is the source of this crisis that you speak of?"

Shirou put down his glass, furrowed his brows, and fixed his gaze on King Ban.

"Why do you have that look on your face? Did I say something wrong?"

Shirou sighed and asked, "Does King Ban truly not know?"

King Ban nodded.

He let out a sigh and said, "Ah... King Ban, you are unaware. The Burgundians have long been in cahoots with the Saxons! To my knowledge, after driving Vortigern to the north, he contacted the Burgundians through the Saxons who stayed in Europe, and they planned to use the Burgundians as the front line to launch a dual-pronged attack on Gaul from the north and south, with the aim of conquering Gaul!"

King Ban's brow furrowed, and his eyes filled with suspicion.

Shirou paused for a moment and continued, "In fact, this matter also has to do with Camelot."

"Why do you say that?" King Ban asked with curiosity.

"Even though Vortigern has magical beasts, he is no match for my army and will be defeated in no time. Hence, he aims to conquer Gaul and attack me from the north and south to take me down!"

He added, "King Ban, you are a hero of our time, and as a king, there are certain things I must refrain from saying to preserve the relationship between our two countries. However, because of your esteemed reputation, I will open up to you and say it."

He paused briefly before continuing., "Actually, I had no choice but to come. If I didn't, when Vortigern conquered Gaul and attacked me from both the front and rear, with magical beasts in front and a navy in the back, I would be in grave danger. Therefore, I had no other option but to come!"

"Ah, I understand now!" King Ban suddenly realized, and the suspicion in his eyes significantly decreased.

Upon closer inspection of the map, it became clear that this was indeed the case. Cornwall faces Gaul across the English Channel, and Vortigern has been pushed to the north by King Arthur. If Vortigern were to conquer Gaul and launch a dual-pronged attack from both the front and rear, King Arthur would indeed be in grave danger!

Initially, King Ban was skeptical of his words, but since this matter concerned national interests, it held a different weight, and he began to believe it to some extent.

"So, let me get this straight," King Ban asked, leaning in with curiosity. "Your visit and the important matter you mentioned to my son—it's all about forming an alliance, isn't it?"

"We have no choice but to form an alliance," Shirou responded, pausing for a moment. "King Ban, you do not want the Franks to be under the rule of the Burgundians, and I do not want my people to be enslaved by the Saxons either! We are not invading, but rather preserving our foundation for the sake of our people!"