Chapter 62

Before the last flare exploded, Shirou hastened to the warzone where Kiritsugu and Tokiomi were engaged in combat. Despite being within reach of the fray, he elected to observe the battle between the two men from a distance.

Killing Tokiomi was the top priority for Shirou, but his ultimate goal was to take out both Tokiomi and Kiritsugu. Given his weakened state, he decided to bide his time and let Tokiomi tire Kiritsugu out before making his move.

Bracing himself against a nearby shelter, Shirou withdrew all of the short swords from his body and cast healing magecraft on himself. Though the magecraft had a potent restorative effect on physical injury, it was of no use in alleviating mental exhaustion or treating natural ailments.

In a previous battle against Spartacus, Shirou sustained serious injuries to both his arms. But he utilized his healing magecraft to cure himself, thus evading detection by his parents and regaining full use of his limbs. He was proficient in healing magecraft and quickly mended his external wounds. However, the internal pain and exhaustion persisted.

Shirou lurked, watching the battle between Kiritsugu and Tokiomi unfold. Kiritsugu was at a severe disadvantage, struggling against the superior tactics of Tokiomi. The latter had meticulously prepared for the fight, taking into account Kiritsugu's Origin and even accounting for normal firearms. It was clear that Tokiomi had thoroughly studied Kiritsugu's tactics and was one step ahead.

Tokiomi avoided direct confrontation with Kiritsugu, opting instead to use his gemstone magecraft to launch remote bombings and flame incineration. He relied solely on suppressing fire. Despite the relentless attack, Kiritsugu kept his cool and attempted to flee. However, the surrounding fire became Tokiomi's familiars, trapping Kiritsugu. His black coat was in tatters, singed by the flames, and his face obscured by dust, a sorry sight.

Shirou considered the option, "Should I wait for Tokiomi to defeat Kiritsugu, then move in to kill him?"

He quickly dismissed the thought, shaking his head.

Without Kiritsugu, Tokiomi would quickly catch wind of Shirou's ambush and call upon Gilgamesh for assistance, destroying any chance of victory. Additionally, Shirou's urge to eliminate Tokiomi overshadowed his motive to kill Kiritsugu.

If Tokiomi had died sooner, Gilgamesh's elimination would also come sooner. And with Gilgamesh gone, Shirou's happiness would have come sooner too. Despite adopting Sakura, he must be strict with her biological father and holds no mental burden about it.

Survival was the only way to achieve anything else. Losing everything, including life, was foolish. Shirou prioritized protecting his life first and dealt with other matters later.

Taking advantage of Tokiomi's focus on Kiritsugu, Shirou projected his two swords and sneaked up on Tokiomi, ready to ambush him.

Unbeknownst to Shirou, before he could even get near, Tokiomi fiercely turned and hurled three gems at him. Shirou swiftly narrowed his eyes and projected a barrier to block the incoming attack. In an instant, there was a loud "boom" as Tokiomi triggered the magecraft within the gems, destroying the barrier into fragments.

"I never thought Lord El-Melloi would be so proficient in using projection magecraft," Tokiomi displayed an elegant smile. "That outfit, is that your new Mystic Code, Lord El-Melloi?" Tokiomi glanced at his outfit and asked with curiosity.

Shirou's brows furrowed as he thought, 'Does he think I'm Kayneth?' He then replied, "Yes, Lord Tohsaka."

"Interesting. However, as the Supervisor of Fuyuki City, I must say that your arrival, Lord El-Melloi, is quite unwelcome," Tokiomi spoke with a polite smile as he swung his staff, sending a burst of fiery projectiles toward Shirou, resembling the wings of a phoenix. Shirou deftly evaded by rolling to the side.