Chapter 18

She cried and prayed for a hero that reality would never allow to appear, but he finally arrived.

However, unlike the gentle, invincible heroes in fairy tales, his voice was urgent and his demeanor was rough.

But it was not wrong, this was the voice of her older brother.

He was the hero who had come to save her.

Sakura stretched out her hand.

Shirou reached out and grabbed hold of it, pulling her towards him.

"Whirring-!"

The turbulent wormhole surged, trying to swallow and deprive Shirou, who had taken their food.

Shirou projected a sword and fired it directly at the creatures, causing it to shatter in the air. The explosion's brief flash of light caused these strange creatures, who had lived in the dark and damp, to instinctively retreat. Seizing the opportunity, Shirou picked up Sakura and fled.

Sakura was still quietly sobbing, and at this time she needed gentle comfort. But Shirou had no time for that, in such a dangerous situation, wasting any time would be irresponsible for each other's lives.

Rushing out of the Matou mansion, before they had even left the garden, the familiar stench of corruption filled their nostrils. The next moment, the gloomy and murderous voice of Matou Zouken sounded from behind them.

"So that's it, that's it. Your target is Matou's granddaughter! Leave Matou's granddaughter behind -!"

"Boom!"

As Shirou ran down the path, a column of water surged up from the ground, swirling with a horde of black insects that rushed towards him like blades. Shirou quickly pivoted on his heel, dodging the attack like a leopard, but this brief pause in his run allowed Zouken, who was enraged, to catch up to him.

"To think you'd dare to take my granddaughter away, go to hell!"

An endless horde of black insects emerged from the surrounding forest, pond, and flowers, crawling toward Shirou. Even more worms emerged from the Matou mansion, gathering to form a massive, ten-meter-tall black giant.

"Go!"

The black giant formed of insects reached out towards Shirou with its hand.

The hand, made up of countless writhing insects, was enough to trigger a severe fear of trypophobia in anyone who saw it. Shirou, a normal person, couldn't help but feel fear at the sight of it. But even in the face of fear, he knew he couldn't back down. He knew that the only way to overcome fear was to confront it head-on.

With determination in his eyes, Shirou raised his finger and began to project a sword. This sword, he knew, was capable of killing the insect giant that loomed before him.

The sword that Shirou projected was no ordinary weapon. It was a sword that could only be wielded by a hero, a holy sword. It was not a sword that a mortal like Shirou should have been able to wield. But Heroic Spirit Emiya Shirou was most familiar with this sword.

As Shirou summoned the weapon, his body was wracked with a searing, fiery sensation as his 27 magic circuits sprang to life, their energy coursing through his veins like molten lava. But these immature, undeveloped circuits were not yet strong enough to harness such power, and they cried out in protest as they struggled to keep up with the demands placed upon them. Shirou could feel them cracking and straining under the strain, threatening to shatter like fragile glass at any moment.

Azure lines appeared densely on his right arm and extended to half his face, glowing with an otherworldly light. In his mind, he shouted, "Come forth! The invincible golden sword, Caliburn!"