Chapter 141

Arthur is dead.

He was swallowed by a monster that devoured him whole, leaving behind a pool of blood. The onlookers stood frozen, their expressions displaying utter disbelief and shock.

Some people found it difficult to accept this harsh reality. A person of such magnificence, the one who was foretold to vanquish the White Dragon and ascend the throne, the one who brought light to those in the midst of terror, had perished so suddenly!

Gawain, Bedivere, Lamorak, Tristan, and even Gareth were unable to reconcile themselves with this truth. However, it was Artoria who struggled the most to accept this reality.

"No! My king! My king!" The words escaped Artoria in a desperate and self-condemning cry. She simply could not bring herself to accept the reality of the situation.

The king whom she had pledged to serve, the one who had imparted so much wisdom upon her, and had helped her unlock the emotions that she had sealed away, was slain right before her very eyes.

As a knight, she had vowed to protect the king until the very end. Nevertheless, in the end, the king was devoured by a beast in order to protect her. What a cruel and ironic twist of fate.

As a knight, this was an immense failure on her part! Tears streamed down her face uncontrollably, and the searing ache in her chest was what people called grief?

The young woman who had repressed her emotions for a decade and a half was at a loss to comprehend the intensity of her overwhelming feelings. The agony was suffocating and made it difficult for her to breathe.

The king...was no more. The king who had placed unwavering faith in her, the king who had entrusted her with his sword, the king who had desired to bestow upon her the emotions of a regular human being, had perished so abruptly. All because of her own shortcomings, because she had failed to protect him, he had passed away just like that.

"Drip, Drip."

Unfathomable emotions surged within her, and the anguish in her heart caused tears to stream down her face involuntarily.

"Why are you crying, Artoria?" Someone asked.

"The king... the king, he..." she trailed off, unable to continue.

"Uh...the way you say that, it's as if I'm already gone. It's really uncomfortable..." The other person responded.

She suddenly jerked her head up, her eyes blurred by tears, and found herself staring at a dark-haired boy who seemed quite troubled.

The boy reached out and gently wiped away her tears, speaking in a soothing tone, "I'm still alive and well, so don't cry anymore."

"My king..." Her tears began to flow once more, and the young woman's voice was laced with regret. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry... I failed to protect you properly. As your knight, your sword, I..."

"Crying again." Shirou wiped away her tears with his hand, his tone gentle but tinged with helplessness. He continued, "If you keep crying like this, your face will be all puffy and red, and that won't look good."

He leaned in closer to her and whispered, "As my knight, you must remain strong! If you continue being weak, it will only make me a laughingstock!"

"Yes!" Upon hearing these words, she brushed away her tears and rose to her feet.

Her king had always placed his trust in her. How could she allow herself to remain in such a pitiful condition and cause him to lose face?

The Archbishop approached them, appearing incredulous, and asked him, "A...Arthur, weren't you supposed to have been swallowed by that beast?"