Chapter 52

"Shink!"

The main hall of the Church fell silent as the piercing sound of a blade ringing through the night air echoed through the room.

Lying on his back, the supervisor of the Fourth Holy Grail War, Kotomine Risei, had a blade made of mercury protruding from his abdomen. Blood immediately began to pour from the wound, staining the ground beneath him.

"You!" Risei, now weak, lifted his head and looked up to see Kayneth's face, expressionless as if nothing had occurred.

"Reciprocity is the name of the game," Kayneth stated. "And let me tell you, as a supervisor, secretly aligning yourself with the Tohsaka family, this is a punishment straight from the heavens."

Risei's eyes finally came to rest on Kayneth as the latter stowed away his Volumen Hydrargyrum before Risei collapsed and slipped into unconsciousness, not to wake again.

"Kayneth, we can't find the Saint Graph." Kayneth's fiancé, Sola, searched the entire Church, but still could not find the objective of their visit - the Saint Graph.

"Has that old man hidden it or given it to that scoundrel?" Kayneth's eyebrows knitted together in frustration before smoothing out as he continued, "Forget it, Sola. It's just a minor game. Our opponents are nothing but a group of backwater magi. Even without the Saint Graph, I can easily emerge victorious."

"But this way, it will be difficult to find the vessel," Sola said.

"No worries, it's simply a question of effort and strategy. Kayneth El-Melloi Archibald can accomplish anything with just a bit of thought," Kayneth said with a nonchalant expression.

Kayneth's life had always been one of ease, envied by others and admired by many. Being a "genius" was a title that came naturally to him, and there was nothing he couldn't accomplish with a bit of thought and strategy.

"Lancer, where do you believe that valuable research vessel is being kept?" Sola's eyes shifted to Diarmuid, inquiring.

Kayneth's face turned ashen.

Diarmuid sighed inwardly and remained silent.

"---!!!"

Suddenly, Diarmuid's eyes widened, and he turned his head, gazing out of the window towards the southeast. "Master, I sense Caster's presence nearby."

"It seems we've been beaten to the punch. Is it the Tohsaka family? Hmph. Even those small-time nobles from the countryside dare to try and take that precious vessel from me? Don't even think about it! That vessel is mine, and mine alone," Kayneth exclaimed with disdain.

He looked at Sola, and added, "It belongs to me and Lady Sola!"

As Kayneth prepared to depart the Church, Sola looked at the blood-soaked Risei, and asked, "Aren't you going to finish him off? If he's still alive, he'll report this to the Holy Church, and it could lead to unpleasant consequences for you."

"I may not be a battle magus, but I am not much weaker than them. Kayneth does not require a second strike when it comes to killing." With that, Kayneth and Diarmuid made their way toward the suburban forest at a sprint.

Upon reaching their destination, Diarmuid charged ahead while Kayneth unleashed his Volumen Hydrargyrum, a unique Supreme Mystic Code created from mercury filled with magecraft. He prepared to infiltrate slowly, with a cool, collected smile on his face.

But then -

"BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!!"

The ground trembled, and in the next instant, a massive arm emerged from the ground, resembling a giant hand that covered the sky and blocked out the sun, striking Diarmuid with its force.