Chapter 181

In the past two days, Shirou had been occupied with a flurry of tasks, leaving him with little time to rest. However, there was a glimmer of relief as people sent by the lords had finally arrived.

Following a brief welcome ceremony, he assigned the newcomers to their respective departments before dismissing them.

Meanwhile, Agravain had also assembled a group of officials from Cornwall, consisting of both nobles and literate commoners who had been drafted as soldiers. However, despite their efforts, the manpower at their disposal was still insufficient.

The reason for the shortage of manpower was not due to any other external factors, but rather because many of the concepts and frameworks that he had established were difficult for the new recruits to grasp.

Although this presented a challenge for him, for the officials it was both a source of delight and frustration, as they eagerly sought to understand and implement these new ideas.

The officials' frustration could be compared to standing before an open gate that led to the truth, with no barriers preventing them from entering, yet still unable to do so. It was an incredibly exasperating feeling.

To overcome this hurdle, many of them, inspired by Lucan's example, began to take meticulous notes on parchment manuscripts. They painstakingly transcribed every explanation that he provided, in the hopes of being able to slowly digest and comprehend the new concepts over time. Shirou was left speechless by their dedication and perseverance.

Unfortunately, this situation had significantly impeded the progress of development. Shirou was forced to temporarily set aside his plans for commerce and manufacturing reform, and instead focus solely on production.

However, amidst the bad news, Gawain returned from leading his troops in the subjugation of bandits and outlaws. He brought with him some much-needed good news: his forces had successfully cleared a total of 22 hideouts, effectively eliminating the bandit threat in Cornwall's territory. Furthermore, Gawain and his men had managed to brought back more than 3,000 people.

Of the 3,000 people, the majority were elderly, weak, women, and children, with only around a thousand eligible for conscription. Nonetheless, their contribution was sufficient to provide a temporary boost to the army's ranks.

Gawain led him to where the captured bandits were being held. Though they looked fierce at first glance, they were in fact weak and emaciated, huddled together in the center while soldiers stood guard around them.

As Gawain introduced Shirou to the bandits, he declared, "This is our king, King Arthur."

Shirou stepped forward and greeted them with a smile. The bandits murmured amongst themselves, and soon several leaders stepped forward. One of them spoke up, saying, 'Great King Arthur, this shining knight, has offered us a place in your army. We do not object, but we do have one question: will our families and children receive food?"

"Of course!" Shirou replied. "As long as you abide by the law and do not commit crimes, you're all part of my people. I promise you, I'll make sure your families have a prosperous life under my care."

"But we are bandits," one of the leaders said.

He responded, "Past sins are not the fault of the people but of the kings. If Camelot had not lacked a king for ten years, you would not have gone hungry and turned to banditry. Therefore, your families are not considered bandits and can start anew. However, your banditry is not easily forgiven, so you must serve in the army."

The bandits chuckled, "We have no problem joining the army as long as our families and children are fed."

"Don't you have any concerns about yourselves?" He asked.