Chapter 56

The inferno blazed out of control, consuming everything in its path with reckless abandon. The fiery red flames danced wildly, painting the landscape a dark black with each brush stroke. The scene was one of destruction, the acrid scent of burnt earth carried on the wind.

The smoke was thick and black, obscuring Shirou's vision. He held two swords at the ready as he searched through the ruins for the two prey he had set his sights on.

He refrained from merging with his Saint Graph, unwilling to act recklessly. If he revealed his Servant's aura, Tokiomi or Kiritsugu would likely summon their own servants on the spot.

His demi-servant's aura was unique and if he used it, it would be like playing a melody on the battlefield. Even with the thick black fog, it would not be able to conceal his presence. The only way to have a chance of killing Tokiomi and Kiritsugu would be if he merged with his Saint Graph at the crucial moment.

Half a month ago, if Shirou had found himself in this situation, he would have fled without hesitation. But this was his only chance to defeat Gilgamesh!

He was willing to take any risk to make Gilgamesh withdraw. Shirou's heart was filled with hate. He knew that he had no chance of victory if he faced Gilgamesh head-on. His only option was to eliminate Gilgamesh by killing Tohsaka Tokiomi. And now, with Tokiomi finally emerging from his magical workshop, was there a better opportunity than this?

Shirou forced down his surging emotions and cautiously advanced through the thick black smoke. He needed to be careful not to merge with his Saint Graph in order to have a chance to kill Tokiomi and Kiritsugu, but that also meant that he would be extremely vulnerable to being killed!

But the opportunity was right in front of him, if he didn't take action, would he just wait for Gilgamesh to kill him at the end of the war?

That was not an option!

However, even without merging with his Saint Graph, Shirou had protected himself to the teeth. He used Projection to create impenetrable armor, added a helmet that protected his eyes like a Crusader's, and then used Reinforcement to increase the armor and helmet's hardness.

Finally, he projected a few shield attached to his armor. He also split thirteen magic circuits to strengthen his body, so as not to be burdened with too much weight and affect his speed.

With this triple defense on his body, as long as it's not a special bullet like a sniper rifle, he should be able to withstand it.

"——!!!!"

Suddenly, his intuition kicked in again, and Shirou felt a gaze fixed firmly upon him.

The next moment—

"Whoosh!"

The sound of a bullet slicing through the air reached Shirou's ears, and he instinctively turned his head in the direction of the noise. Before he could react, however, he felt the rush of air slice against his skin like a knife. In the next moment, a loud thud echoed through the air as the shield he had projected behind him was pierced, as if it were no more than a flimsy piece of paper.

Shirou crouched behind a pile of ruins, his body was covered in a cold sweat. He reached out with his mind, manifesting several spears and firing them toward the source of the gunfire, using the collapsed wall as cover.

"Clang, clang, clang"

The spears collided with the rocks, producing a sharp metallic ring. A thick, black fog enveloped the area, and smoke billowed through the air, obscuring everything in sight amidst a raging inferno. Shirou was left unsure of what was happening on the other side of the smoke.