Chapter 120

Shirou's mind was a jumbled mess, and he felt a sense of emptiness inside him. Instead of heading back to Ector's estate, he went to a small river near the town.

If he had accepted Artoria's pledge of loyalty and become king in her place, he could have been trapped in a singularity or an alternate reality. Thankfully, he had managed to avoid that fate and escape.

Shirou knew exactly what he wanted. He couldn't stay in this era for long, he was just a passerby. More importantly, he lacked experience in governing a country. He could count on one hand the number of times he had been a leader in the past. In fact, the closest he had come to being a leader was when he acted as a substitute physical education representative in elementary school. That was only because the physical education teacher was ill every day.

The only other instance in which Shirou had acted as a leader was when he led the criminals in the All the World's Evil and united the city of sin. However, beyond that, he had no experience in leadership. He had always been led by others.

Therefore, even if he were to set aside his strong desire to return to his own time and accept Artoria's pledge and become king, it would be a disastrous outcome for everyone involved. What did he know about the art of kingship? At most, he could have made a few laws, given some empty speeches, and perhaps manage a plot of farmland. The reality was that he just wasn't suited for the role.

"Oh, bewildered youth~~~~~!" Merlin's affectedly gentle voice echoed through the air, causing Shirou to turn his head in annoyance. As he did, he laid eyes on the flower-lined path, and Merlin himself, strolling leisurely with his staff in hand.

"Do you find yourself burdened with doubts and confusions?" Merlin asked, his smile seemingly mocking yet inviting. "You can always confide in Merlin and bring a smile to his face!"

"You—" Shirou said seriously, "deserve a good beating!"

He continued, "Let's cut to the chase. Did you have a hand in all of this?"

"Ah..." Merlin let out a sigh, his voice tinged with a touch of aggrievement. "Why must you always harbor such suspicions about me? Am I truly that insufferable?"

Shirou shook his head, "Not exactly. But it was undoubtedly your doing, wasn't it?"

"That's no fun. Why do you always paint me as a villain?" he asked, sounding helpless. "Don't I look like a good person?"

"Not in the slightest. You're a swindler through and through."

Merlin: "..."

"I don't have time for your games. Tell me, did you do it?" Shirou pressed.

Merlin scoffed, his denial swift and dismissive. "Of course not. I wouldn't waste my time on such mundane matters."

Shirou regarded Merlin skeptically and asked, "Really?"

Merlin gestured to his eyes, "Come on, look into my eyes. What do you see?"

"I see eye boogers," Shirou remarked. "A huge chunk of them!"

"What eye boogers! You're making that up! I take hygiene seriously, you know?" Merlin protested, a hint of indignation in his voice. Realizing that arguing would lead nowhere, he swiftly shifted gears. "But didn't you perceive the sincerity that nearly overflowed from my sparkling eyes?"

"Sincerity...?" Shirou fell silent.

This guy has no shame.

At that moment, Artoria and Kay rushed over.

"My king!" Artoria called out to Shirou as soon as she saw him, as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

Shirou felt a sudden pang in his stomach.