Chapter 156

Lostbelts are deemed failed timelines by the world itself. In contrast to the Greater History of Man, which represents the history of "winners" born from correct choices and proper prosperity leading to the "present," Lostbelts are histories of "failure" that arise from wrong choices or false prosperity for humanity. Due to their inherent nature of failure, they are severed from the greater multiverse.

Initially, Shirou had considered the possibility of fleeing to Europe with the people if they couldn't defeat Vortigern. However, it had become clear that this was not a practical solution. Being designated as a Lostbelt and isolated from the outside world meant that their survival would be at stake.

With Vortigern now embodied in the very essence of Britain's nature, the only viable solution was to claim the throne and reclaim the land that he had taken. The alternative was to allow Fou to transform into a "Beast,"

However, if Shirou were to absorb an excessive amount of "Evil" from the "Beast," he would risk transforming into a monstrous entity that not even Merlin could foresee. He had no desire to become a monster and turn this pivotal moment in history to become another Lostbelt, severed from the present timeline.

In light of these circumstances, there was no other choice but to take up the mantle of kingship and reclaim the land that Vortigern had seized, with the ultimate goal of defeating him in a decisive battle. This was the only path that offered a chance to return home or establish a secure future.

"Prepare yourself, King 'Arthur'!" Merlin said. "You have now become an integral part of history, and Vortigern's army will arrive in the afternoon!"

Shirou regarded Merlin with a curious expression. "Why are you willing to use 'Clairvoyance' to help me now?"

"Because this is the final chapter of 'Arthur,' and the prelude to the King's Legend! Embrace this moment and accept your role as the King. This is the War of the Kings, marking the end of the Age of Gods!"

...

Just as seen through Merlin's Clairvoyance, Vortigern's army was suppressing Barton Mountain, making people's attention focused on the Barton Fortress. However, in secret, he sent a strong force from the northeast mountain road to attack Caerleon, intending to encircle it.

"General Palino, we have sighted Caerleon ahead," the scout reported. "There's already troops stationed there."

"Have the bards spread the king's decree to massacre the city?"

"Yes, the order has been circulated, but its impact seems to be limited, and the defending troops have not wavered in their resolve," the scout reported.

Palino nodded, deep in thought. "It is to be expected. Caerleon is the heartland of Camelot, and its people are resilient in the face of intimidation."

He then addressed the leader of the magi who accompanied him, "Are the magical cannons prepared for deployment?"

"We have prepared five magical cannons, each loaded with dragon bones, sea monster eyes, and mithril," the magi leader assured him. "However, there is a chance that the fairies may come to Caerleon's aid."

Palino remained undeterred. "The King's army has already suppressed Barton Mountain, so even if the fairies intervene, their attention will likely be focused there. Therefore, we can take advantage of their diversion and use the cannons to breach the city walls of Caerleon directly once we arrive."

"Yes, General!" the magi leader replied, acknowledging Palino's command.

Palino continued, outlining his tactical plan, "Once the city walls have been breached, the infantry will advance first, followed by air support to subdue the enemies, and finally, we will press forward with full force."