Chapter 78

We're going to die!

Waver, who once spoke politely to his professor just like a gentleman, now fled in embarrassment and was relying solely on his professor's Volumen Hydrargyrum for survival.

They rode on Iskandar's horse, fleeing from the outskirts of town to Miyama. However, the black-clad Lancer pursuing them were relentless, like shadows.

"Stop! I won't let you hurt my Sola again!" Kayneth cried out as he used the Volumen Hydrargyrum to attack Diarmuid.

"Whoosh——"

The Volumen Hydrargyrum transformed into a whip and sword, striking at Diarmuid, but he effortlessly dodged the attacks, his speed rivaling that of Iskandar's horse.

If it weren't for Kayneth's interference with the Volumen Hydrargyrum, they would have been caught and killed long ago, though their escape was coming to an end.

"What should I do? What should I do?" Waver repeated, wracking his brain for a solution.

Kayneth held his bride-to-be, now disfigured beyond recognition, and watched in heartache as she lay before him. Anger took hold of him, and he commanded the Volumen Hydrargyrum to attack Diarmuid.

But Diarmuid was too quick and the attack failed to hit its mark.

"Dammit!" Kayneth cursed, clenching his jaw in anger. "If that bastard hadn't ruined my workshop, I wouldn't be in this helpless situation!"

He had put so much effort into preparing materials for this war, only for Shirou and his Spartacus to ruin everything.

"Aaaaaaa!!" Diarmuid let out a bloodcurdling scream and launched the Crimson Rose of Exorcism.

With a rush of wind, the Crimson Rose descended like a red meteor, aimed straight for Waver and the others. But Iskandar's mount, Bucephalus, was intuitive and felt the danger, jumping out of the way just in time.

However, never in his wildest dreams did Waver imagine that the strike would be so powerful that it would create a massive pit with a thunderous "boom," sending Bucephalus and its riders flying.

Waver's head was struck by flying stones and he began to bleed, but the pain was a distant memory as the Alter Lancer appeared before him.

"Aaaaaa——!" Diarmuid roared, lunging at Waver with the Crimson Rose of Exorcism.

Waver closed his eyes, bracing for impact.

"Rider!" he cried out in his mind, calling out to the one person who resided in his heart.

But that person...

"Clang—!"

"Boom—!"

The sounds of metal colliding and another loud explosion filled the air.

Waver slowly opened his eyes and found himself facing a young man with a smiling gaze. The young man's eyes were like fire and two large black wings protruded from his back, making him appear to be a strange mixture of both devil and angel, wicked and good.

Waver was shocked and pointed at the young man, asking in disbelief, "You're Caster?"

"Caster? Ah...yes, that's right," Shirou replied. "But please, call me Fujimura Shirou. That's my real name."

Shirou turned away from Waver and glanced over his shoulder. "Step back, Waver. Don't want you to get hurt."

Waver was anxious. "Caster, Lancer is already corrupted. Let's go find Saber. You can't defeat him on your own." But as Waver looked upon the black, mud-like wings that extended from Shirou's back, he was filled with horror and stammered, "You...you're stained with mud?"