Chapter 72

By the riverbank in the Miyama district, Shirou had escaped and everyone slowly dispersed from the scene. Kiritsugu had intended to target Waver, but Iriviel's presence on Iskandar's side made it risky. Despite Iskandar's righteous demeanor, Kiritsugu couldn't guarantee that he wouldn't harm Iriviel. Kiritsugu, always prepared for the worst, chose to abandon his plan temporarily.

Waver and Iskandar returned to their base, with Waver feeling like a failure as a Master. The sixth day of the Holy Grail War was approaching its climax and Waver needed to catch up. He went to the place where he summoned Iskandar and absorbed the power of the leyline to compensate for his lack of magical energy.

Swish--

Suddenly, a strange sound echoed from the forest.

"Rider, what are you doing--" Waver turned around, ready to ask Rider what he was doing there, but the words got stuck in his throat as he saw the person before him. The golden hair, blue clothes, and proud face confirmed the identity of the person who had arrived.

His professor, the Lord of the El-Melloi faction, a first-class lecturer in Spiritual Evocation, heavily honored and named 'Child Prodigy,' Kayneth El-Melloi Archibald!

Waver was shocked to see Kayneth appear before him. "You--, you--!"

Kayneth chuckled, "My foolish disciple, as your professor, I will give you a good lesson in our last class." He wore white gloves and took out a vial, pouring it on the ground.

In an instant, a ball of mercury expanded around Kayneth. Waver, being a student of the El-Melloi, recognized the ball of mercury as Volumen Hydrargyrum, the most prized possession of the Lord El-Melloi and the supreme possession of the El-Melloi faction. A unique Mystic Code that uses magical mercury for defense, attack, and reconnaissance.

Waver fell to the ground in fear and screamed, "Rider! ... Rider--!"

"Don't waste your energy. My Lancer is keeping your King of Conquest." Kayneth laughed, "Without the Gordius Wheel, Diarmuid won't give him the chance to summon his Noble Phantasm."

Waver raised his palm, "With this Command Seals——"

But before he could finish his sentence, the Volumen Hydrargyrum transformed into a silver whip and struck toward him. Waver was forced to roll out of the way to avoid being hit.

Kayneth approached him gracefully, "As your professor, I'll give you one last lesson. But as Kayneth, I'll make you feel the full force of my rage! You see, what I hate the most are fools like you!"

"Writing a thesis refuting the bloodline superiority theory thinking you're clever. Do you have any idea what will happen if it's published? Other nobles and Lords may tear it apart, but the filth it will bring upon me is irreparable!" Kayneth was furious, filled with rage.

"I...I don't know," Waver stammered, "but I know my thesis is correct!" His voice was firm, revealing his unwavering determination.

Kayneth let out a sigh, "Correct? Alright...my foolish disciple, it's my mistake."

Waver's insides tightened at his words.

"You're not even qualified to be a magus," Kayneth said coldly. "Having a disciple like you is a permanent stain on my reputation that can never be washed away, only purged." The Volumen Hydrargyrum started attacking on its own.

Waver dodged the attacks, using the surrounding trees as cover. "Whether I'm qualified to be a magus or not is not for you to decide."

"Then who does get to decide?" Kayneth asked.

"Me," Waver declared proudly, "Waver Velvet himself."

"Foolish words!" Kayneth sneered. "Idiotic and inadequate! You have poor talent in magecraft and come from a dishonorable family. What could someone like you possibly achieve? Decide? You can't decide anything. You're only fit to wander in the lowest level of magecraft, like a mouse in the sewers, never having the chance to rise up."