Chapter 180

After successfully driving away the last group of magical beasts for the day, Artoria came to a halt. Though she had the urge to pursue and eliminate them, she was the sole protector of the front lines. If she were to give chase, there was a risk of leaving the civilians behind the defense line vulnerable to potential magical beasts attacks.

Above all, she recognized that she wouldn't have been able to catch up to them even if she tried. In truth, beneath her lion helmet, her complexion was somewhat pale. Her spirit was utterly exhausted.

Despite possessing the Factor and Heart of a Red Dragon, and having an abundance of magical energy, she remained a human body. After six consecutive days and nights of unceasing battles, she had depleted a great deal of her energy and stamina, and was now starving. Even after Bedivere brought her a specific batch of food, it was still insufficient to satiate her hunger.

Due to possessing the Factor and Heart of a Red Dragon, her appetite was only marginally smaller than that of a typical dragon. It would be a significant burden on the kingdom if she were to consume food to her heart's content.

She was well aware of the pressure that Shirou was currently facing, so she purposely curbed her appetite to a degree that allowed her to move with ease.

Furthermore, her silver mount, Dun Stallion, was also approaching its threshold. As a crossbreed between a dragon and a horse, it had accompanied her in slaying monsters in the sea of beasts for six continuous days and nights without any decline in pace. Nevertheless, it was undoubtedly nearing its limit. On several occasions, it had intensified its heart rate and respiration and was gasping for air.

...

Night had fallen, and darkness engulfed the surroundings. Artoria stood guard at the border, having set up a campfire and was cooking porridge for herself. Dun Stallion grazed nearby, taking a break from the day's arduous battles.

Sitting with her helmet on and back against a tree trunk, she gazed absentmindedly at the rising smoke. She was aware of her own voracious appetite and understood that these meager rations were insufficient to fill her stomach. In fact, she had intended to hunt magical beasts for food. However, for some inexplicable reason, the creatures under Vortigern's control were strange. Upon being slain, their bodies would only linger for a moment before disintegrating into thin air like snowflakes, leaving no traces behind.

Initially, she suspected that these magical beasts were artificial constructs created by some magi. However, after six days of battling them, she came to realize that the situation was far more complex. These magical beasts were not mere magical creations but living beings. Despite this, their bodies would dissolve upon death like snowflakes. This was not a normal natural decomposition process; instead, it seemed as if they were being rejected by the world itself!

These magical beasts were being rejected from existence, and their actions were also being denied. Therefore, their bodies were rejected after their deaths as well. It was a bizarre phenomenon, and she recalled traveling with the King through various territories, camping and feasting on many boars in the forests. The bodies of those boars did not dissolve like this, allowing them to be roasted and consumed. However, these creatures under Vortigern's control exhibited this strange vanishing phenomenon.

The perplexing situation was beyond her comprehension, leaving her in a state of bewilderment.

"This matter is too critical. When I get back, I must report this finding to the King and seek Merlin's counsel. As a wise man, he should be able to explain the reason behind this matter," Artoria pondered to herself.

Nonetheless, for the time being, she had to remain here and protect this location. Until the defensive wall was constructed, she couldn't leave her post.