[𝟭𝟰𝟬] ⚠️ Lᴇᴛ Mᴇ - ℝ𝔼ℚ𝕌𝔼𝕊𝕋

Y/N - your name
C/N - crush's name

Song: "Sorry" - dodie

requested by @kay_camp

⚠️y/n had a dad who cheated on mum, which has led her to having trust issues (since this may be triggering for people)⚠️

—————————————

Y/N was relieved when her mother decided to move them to the other end of the country after the divorce; she would miss her friends, sure, but she couldn't stand being anywhere her father had been. To think he had been such a loving and kind parental figure for so many years, only to wrong his wife like that. By ruining his marriage, he had ruined his relationship with his daughter. She would never be able to look at him the same again, and so when asked by the court what sort of custody arrangement she would prefer, she had asked to stay with her mother full-time.

So, when Y/N walked into her new school with her eyes cast down and earphones blasting music into her ears, she found herself regaining some sense of normality. Especially after all the court sessions, the emotional baggage, and the big move. The map she had been provided led her to her physics class, where she sat down in the only remaining seat by a boy. "Hello," he said with a bright grin.

"Hi?" she side-glanced at him.

"I'm C/N, nice to meet you."

"Y/N."

And that was how it began.

Every day, he would smile brightly at her and say an ever positive greeting. He got the opportunity each day because he had moved next to her in so many lessons. Almost three times a week, he would ask her on a date.

He wasn't a dick, if she had genuinely said no he would have stopped asking. He was receptive to requests. The thing is, her responses were almost always 'I don't have time' or 'You don't want to date me'. It was to the point he had explicitly told her to just tell him to stop asking if she absolutely hated it. Her response to that had been 'I need the toilet'. So he kept asking, hoping to penetrate the wall she had constructed around herself.

Y/N found herself at a crossroad. It was physically impossible for her to outright say no to C/N, since part of her did want to go on a date with him, but the part of her with trust issues made her always come up with an excuse. How could she trust someone in a relationship? Her parents had been together for so many years. She had seen them loving and happy with each other. And yet her dad still betrayed her mum like that.

She had warmed to C/N's company quite quickly, as she wasn't opposed to friends. It was when the feelings she couldn't trust developed she became scared. That led her to act somewhat cold towards him, but that didn't put him off. He persisted.

"Hey, Y/N," he said, as she put books away in her locker.

"What?"

"Are you free this weekend?"

She narrowed her eyes at him, "Why?"

"I was thinking we go to the drive-in cinema together - as in a date."

"I don't get it." She shut her locker and looked at him.

He frowned, "What don't you get?"

"I've rejected you, made excuses, ran away- so many times! And you don't stop smiling or asking me out! Why?"

C/N shrugged, "Because I don't think you're being honest with yourself."

"Huh?"

"I plan on getting to know you better," he leaned closer, "If you let me, at least."

"You don't want to know about me," she shook her head.

"I do."

"It's not a matter of my favourite books or my hobbies... getting to know me is much more complicated than that."

"Isn't it for everyone?"

She gave him a disdained look, "It's more complex than you think it is."

Turning to leave, she stopped in her tracks when she felt his hand on her wrist. "What makes you think you're so special?" his words weren't full of malice, but laced with mixed concern and a hint of anger. Anger not inherently aimed at her, but still ever present.

"What?"

"You're acting like you're the only person around here with baggage- with trauma."

"No I'm not-"

"Yes, you are. Just cut all this you don't want to know me and you're better off without me bullshit. Whatever's happened to you doesn't define you, and you get to decide whether or not it controls your life."

"I can't just get rid of the trust issues it's given me."

"No, you can't, but you're not even trying to move on and you keep acting like you're oh so special for having problems."

"I- You-"

"You know I'm right," he finally released her wrist, "So what are you gonna do about it?"

Y/N breathed heavily through her nostrils, "Am I just not allowed to want to avoid relationships after my dad cheated on my mum and ruined his marriage and our bond?"

"How is your dad representative of everyone?"

"How am I supposed to know who's like my dad and who isn't?"

"You know your mum's not like your dad, don't you?"

"So? I only know that because of how much it destroyed her."

C/N sighed, "Look, I'm sorry, I know I'm being unreasonable and you have every right to have trust issues... but I would never cheat. I couldn't. My ex cheated on me and it tore me apart, but I decided not to let it ruin all future relationships for me. You can choose to do that too."

She was embarrassed that they were having this argument in the school corridor, and she was even more embarrassed that was she already somewhat crying, but she pulled together her composure and said, "I want to, but I don't know how."

"Maybe just try going on a date with me? I promise it won't be half bad."

"...O- Okay..."

"Really?"

She nodded her head, "I'll try. But it'll take a while before I can be sure I can trust you."

"I'll wait as long as I have to."

————————————

i'm gonna piss myself ahhhh

[1044 words]