[𝟰𝟰] 🧸 Bᴀsᴋᴇᴛʙᴀʟʟ Cᴀᴘᴛᴀɪɴ

Y/N - your name
C/N - crush's name
B/N - best friend's name

Song: "Call Me Maybe" - Carly Rae Jepsen

i've written over 40k words for this book... sheesh

——————

C/N was a popular basketball captain. He was incredibly handsome and made almost every single girl's heart melt. That included Y/N's. To top that off, he was a genuinely nice and intelligent person, he was even hilarious. What didn't that boy have? A girlfriend, was the answer.

Many girls strived to have him ask them out, or even did it themselves. But every time C/N ignored all of their flirting or declined their offer. He was unreadable: nobody could tell who he had a crush on. Or if he even had a crush at all. C/N always seemed to either be too focused on his basketball playing or schoolwork.

Y/N was one of the girls who had never even attempted to talk to him; she was way too shy and would have no idea what to say. The odds were he didn't have a clue who she was, as well. B/N was Y/N's cheerleader, and always insisted that there was no way C/N couldn't like her back if he found out just how amazing she was. Naturally, Y/N disagreed and proceeded to play the card of B/N's crush, of whom she also denied would ever like her back. After that, she would shut up about it.

A basketball game was to be held that very day, after school. Y/N had plans on attending it after the last lesson was over: history. She and B/N sat at the back of class exchanging jokes and notes until that fateful subject came up. "So, Y/N..." B/N trailed off, doodling carelessly in her book, "We both know you have no interest in basketball whatsoever."

"Do, too!" Y/N said defensively.

"No, you don't. I bet you don't even know what a slam dunk is."

"Do you think I'm fucking stupid?" she snorted, "Everyone knows what a slam dunk is."

B/N nodded, "True, true... but still... I think we both know the real reason you're going has something to do with the basketball captain."

Almost immediately, Y/N's face flushed bright red as she failed to find the words to retaliate. B/N gave her a checkmate look before turning back to her book, "You know... if you don't ever tell him how you feel you'll regret it for the rest of her life."

"There's no way he likes me back, though."

"What have you got to lose?" B/N questioned, "If it turns out he doesn't like you back, then you can get over him and stop spending so much time invested in his life. If he does like you back, which he should, then you can date, get married and have a lot of babies."

Rolling her eyes playfully, the school bell cut through the air like a knife. Together they packed up their belongings and said their goodbyes, Y/N wandering off to the sports hall whereas B/N headed home. The members of the basketball team had been permitted to leave early to change, so they were already practicing beforehand on the court while waiting for the opposing school to arrive. Already, the bleachers were beginning to be filled with sports enthusiasts and fangirls the like.

For a split second Y/N's eyes locked on to C/N's making her face flush red. He smiled at her, causing her insides to melt, before turning his attention back to the practice.

Fifteen minutes later, the basketball team from the school across town showed up in their kit. Harsh looks were on their faces, but Y/N knew that was all for appearance. She had spent the waiting time trying to stare at C/N as subtly as possible, but he definitely caught her once or twice. Those moments would haunt her for years to come.

When the bleachers were full, the match begun and she watched avidly as the ball was passed between the teammates faster than you could say "banoffee pudding". C/N was amazing at basketball, and soon outshone the other team by scoring.

Another few minutes passed, and a member of the other team accidentally threw the ball too far making it go off the sides. It headed straight for Y/N, and she caught it out of instinct. While she knew little to nothing about basketball, she did play another sport for the school. Everyone's focus was on the guy who had thrown it, meaning when C/N came over to retrieve the ball no one paid any notice.

"Thanks, Y/N," he said with a smile, taking the ball out of her hands. She remained frozen in the same position even after he had it, amazed that C/N knew her name. "You alright? You look like you've seen a ghost," he chuckled.

"O-Oh... uh- yeah, I mean- no... I-I'm fine," she stuttered.

He gave her a weird look, heading back on to the court to resume the game. When it was over, and Y/N had already repetitively insulted herself for being an idiot, she gave one last lingering glance towards C/N before making her way to the exit.

"Hey! Wait up," his voice called from behind. Being one of the last to leave, there was no one else he could really be talking to, so Y/N paused and turned with a frown etched on to her face.

C/N reached where she was and began walking with her, increasing her confusion all that more.

"What did you think of the match?" he broke the silence.

"Well, it was good..." it took everything in her not to stutter, "You guys won, didn't you?"

Nodding, he said, "How did you find my play?"

"As amazing as usual..." she whispered softly.

C/N grinned upon hearing that, opening the sports hall door for her. "I'm glad you think that."

"What does my opinion matter?" Y/N asked, still trying to figure out why he was talking to her.

"Well... it's the one I value most," he halted, making Y/N stop walking as well.

"Why?"

Taking a deep breath, C/N took Y/N's hand and said, "I like you, Y/N. I like you a lot."

She was stunned to silence for a few seconds, but after seeing regret begin to make it's way on to C/N's expression, she replied at the level of a whisper, "I like you too."

The grin he gave her was brighter than any that she had ever seen, but still as handsome as always. C/N took her by surprise when he proceeded to lift her up and squeeze her to death, making her choke for air.

"Can't... breathe..." she wheezed.

"Oh, sorry," he apologised, plopping her down, "Uh... does this mean you'll be my girlfriend?"

Obviously.

——————

today's fun fact about moi:~

my favourite anime *ever* is danganronpa :)

[1178 words]

Crush Oneshots | Crush x ReaderOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara