[𝟱𝟭] 🧸 Sᴏᴍᴇʙᴏᴅʏ

Y/N - your name
C/N - crush's name
P/B - popular boy

Song: "Somebody To You" - The Vamps

ALovelyGalaxiesA suggested the song as part of a challenge with them and pandas-and-peaches ;)

———————

Y/N thrived in the shadows and hiding places of the school. They were where she belonged: away from the public eye and in a world of nobodies. Nobody knew who she was. She didn't even know herself, at times. Yet, she was somewhat content within the world of invisibles, as it gave her the ability to slip around unnoticed and hear all the juicy gossip. Of course, the key word was "somewhat".

At times, she wished people did notice her. Not so much to inflate her ego and make her feel popular, but because all she wanted was one of the boys of the popular group to notice her. He wasn't the most popular boy, that title was held by P/B, but he was still widely crushed on and appreciated. Y/N knew he didn't know who she was, however she wasn't aware whether she preferred it that way or not. Part of her craved his attention, while the other wanted her to remain silent forever.

It's not that she wasn't attractive, because she was. Her rosy cheeks and pretty hair were key features that highlighted that. She tended to cover up a lot though, and she almost always had a hoodie on with the hood up. Plus, Y/N always walked with her head down and sat at the back of classrooms in the corner.

One thing she hadn't expected to happen on a fine thursday lunchtime, was for one of C/N's many friends to walk up to her solitary spot under a tree and ask her out. She wasn't dumb, she had seen them laughing and messing around beforehand. They had been pointing at her with cheeky grins like the dicks they were, although Y/N couldn't help but notice the lack of banter from C/N. He was staring in her direction with a frown etched on to his face.

"Hey, quiet girl," the boy smirked cockily, making Y/N internally roll her eyes, "Would you wanna go on a date with me?"

"What do you think?" she snapped in reply. She was shy by choice, not by nature.

At first he seemed a bit taken aback at her volume, but quickly inflated his chest again and continued, "I'll assume it's a yes... I mean, who wouldn't wanna go out with this?"

"Me," she said firmly, "Guess you assumed wrong, you dick."

"Woah, woah!" he chuckled, "Thought you were meant to be the quiet girl."

"Go fuck yourself," she waved her hand dismissively, and to her surprise he went silent and walked away.

She felt the rest of the group's eyes on her for the remainder of lunch, but that was partially a positive: C/N had finally noticed her presence. That would have been enough for her for the day, however C/N completely changed that when he ran up to her in the corridor after school.

"I'm sorry about my friends earlier..." he immediately said, startling Y/N while she went through her locker, "They can be real dicks."

"It's fine," she replied, still facing forward as a blush was tinting her cheeks, "No harm done."

He hummed softly, before cheekily reaching out and pulling down her hood. Her head instantly turned to face him with her eyebrows furrowed, "What was that for?"

"Just wanted to see you with your hood down," he shrugged, "...You're Y/N, right?"

He knew who she was. "Yes, and you're C/N. Why?"

"No reason..." he mumbled, remaining silent for a few seconds while he examined her features, "D'you wanna go get some ice cream? There's a place round the corner..."

Only now did Y/N notice just how hot the day was, and just how badly her stomach craved the cold treat. She worked up the courage to say yes with a small smile, shutting her locker and beginning to walk down the corridor with him. "Wait!" she suddenly said, halting in her movements, "I don't have any money..."

"It's fine, I'll pay," he shrugged.

"I'll pay you back tomorro-"

"No need... we can just do that 'I pay this one, you pay the next one' kinda thing," he smiled.

Y/N began walking again, while she muttered, "Next one...?" in a quiet but hopeful voice.

They reached the store, and Y/N picked a classic cone with a scoop of mint choc chip ice cream and a chocolate flake. C/N had the same but with strawberry flavoured ice cream instead. There was a bench not far from the shop, which the pair sat on as they licked their frozen delicacies.

Up above, the golden sun was shining brightly in a cloudless blue sky. Heatwaves could be vaguely seen in the distance, making it appear like some objects were moving. The ice creams would have certainly melted if it wasn't for the fact they were eaten so quickly.

"I don't ever see you hang around anyone..." he eventually spoke after finishing his cone, "Do you prefer to be alone or something...?"

"Yeah, I guess..." Y/N replied, "I don't really care if other people notice me or not... well, except for you..." she said the last part quietly, but to her dismay C/N still heard.

"Me?"

She avoided eye contact, looking away from him with embarrassment evident on her face, "I don't know..." she mumbled, gathering all the courage she could muster, "I guess all I really want is... well... to be somebody to you."

Unbeknownst to her, a handsome grin had formed on C/N's face as she said that. She felt him take her hand, her face turning an even deeper crimson, and raise it to his mouth to kiss the back, "Good to hear the feeling is mutual."

———————

i. am. exhausted.

today's fun fact about moi:~

my favourite flavour of ice cream is mint choc chip ^_^

[1011 words]