[𝟮𝟰] 🧸 Aʙsᴏʟᴜᴛᴇʟʏ Sᴍɪᴛᴛᴇɴ

Y/N - your name
C/N - crush's name
B/N - best friend's name
B/B/N - best friend's boyfriend's name

Song: "Absolutely Smitten" - dodie

:D

———————

Clubs weren't her forte, but, well, she would do anything for her best friend's birthday. In fact, she had arranged the entire thing alongside her, only getting help with who to invite to the coming-of-age event. B/N was turning eighteen that day. She could legally purchase alcohol now, which is why the event was in a club.

As for people invited who weren't of age: as long as someone who was eighteen or above bought their drinks for them, it was perfectly fine. The club was booked out for them for the entire night, and everything was set up in the large modern space.

Y/N was both excited and nervous; excited that her best friend would be joining the eighteen year old gang, but nervous about how the course of the evening would go. Many family members of B/N's that Y/N didn't know were going to be there, and unfortunately she wasn't very good with strangers.

Guests began trickling in, each of them dressed up beautifully in their own unique way. The attire was essentially just clubbing gear, so many people were wearing dresses and casual suits. B/N was stood beside Y/N, the gifts all being handed to her to be placed on the entrance table. They all wished her a happy birthday, as B/N thanked them all for coming with a smile on her face.

Straightening out her knee length satin green and black dress, Y/N clicked her simple matte black high heels against the floor nervously. She wasn't very good with people. She wasn't very good with loud noise. And she especially wasn't very good with drunk crowds.

Y/N drifted off into the main room to check on how the party was kicking off while B/N continued to greet friends and family. She snuck a few snacks from the food table before eventually ordering herself a shot to get herself through the night. After downing one, Y/N didn't want to risk any more because she couldn't get drunk when her best friend was definitely going to.

Plus, it was only the beginning of the evening.

Swallowing down the stinging sensation in her throat, Y/N weaved her way through the crowd upon seeing B/N enter. Accidentally bumping into someone else, Y/N saw B/N begin talking to her boyfriend in the corner of her eye as she turned her attention to the victim of her clumsiness. It was a boy, around her age, wearing a white dress shirt and navy blue trousers. His sleeves were rolled up and his top button undone, there being no sign of a tie anywhere.

"I'm so sorry..." Y/N said, awkwardly meeting his eyes, "I wasn't paying attention and I-"

"Chill," he cut her off, "It's fine. No harm done."

Relief washed over her as she confirmed he wasn't an asshole. Holding out her hand politely, she introduced herself, "I'm Y/N. B/N's best friend."

He shook it with a gorgeous smile, "C/N. I'm her cousin, on her dad's side."

"Oh, right..." she let a small smile tug at her lips, "Are you close to our age...? I mean, you look it..."

"Twenty one," he nodded, "Tell me you've turned eighteen already, I don't wanna be a paedo."

Giggling quietly, Y/N said, "Yeah, I turned a few months back."

"Thank goodness," C/N replied, gazing into her eyes, "My cousin never mentioned her best friend was hot."

Heat rose to her cheeks and made her cast her eyes downwards, fiddling with the hem of her dress.

"Ya know... I'm not usually one for parties..." he commented, making Y/N look up again, "But maybe I'm glad I came."

"How come?"

"You're so oblivious..." C/N chuckled, leaning over to whisper in to her ear, "Because I got to meet you."

"But we just me-"

"Hey, Y/N, C/N!" the birthday girl's familiar voice sounded out, interrupting Y/N, "What did you whisper to her?"

C/N shook his head with a smile, "It doesn't matter."

Deciding to change the subject, Y/N asked, "How're you enjoying your b-day party?"

"It's fun!" B/N grinned, "B/B/N just went to get me a drink..."

Y/N and C/N flicked their eyes to where B/N was looking, to see B/N's sister gesturing for her to come over.

"Well... I've got to go," B/N sighed, "Don't hurt Y/N's feelings, C/N..."

And with that final statement, B/N walked off, leaving Y/N blushing like crazy and C/N smirking with a glint in his eyes.

"Care for a dance?" he held out his hand.

She accepted, allowing herself to be pulled closer to him and into the crowd. Normally, it would bother her, but she felt safe holding his hands.

They'd just met, and she was already absolutely smitten.

——————

ngl i quite like this one

[854 words]