[𝟲𝟴] 🧸 Sʟᴇᴇᴘʟᴇss Nɪɢʜᴛs

Y/N - your name
C/N - crush's name
B/N - best friend's name

Song: "Can I Call You Tonight?" - Dayglow

i'm actually in a really good mood 😌✨

———————

Somehow, before she had even made the short journey upstairs, Y/N knew she would find herself incapable of sleeping that night. Maybe it was three cups of coffee she had drank throughout the afternoon, or maybe it was the blue light radiating off of the television. No matter what caused it, the reality of a sleepless night remained the same. That was a fact she had to accept.

When she did go to her bedroom, she tossed and turned for about an hour, before finally giving up and choosing to make herself busy. Y/N slipped out of bed and padded over to the window, pulling apart the paper-thin curtains to gaze at the starry sky. As silently as possible, which was hard due to the age-old squeak, she opened the window. The cool night breeze on her face was refreshing and calming.

Her neighbourhood was in peaceful tranquility, only a few lights on through the windows of some houses. Moving cars were nowhere to be seen, and the normal tweeting birds were resting. It was times like this Y/N loved the most.

She grabbed her phone and headphones from the bedside table, pulling the latter over her head. Scrolling through her playlists for a few seconds, Y/N finally settled on one that suited that night's energy. After pulling her desk chair over to the window, she took a seat and let the music play through her ears. She hadn't felt so care-free and relaxed in a long time, and had to admit she was mildly grateful that her body didn't allow her to rest.

Another sleepless hour passed, by which point the playlist came to the end of its final song. Instead of putting on more music, Y/N pulled her headphones off and decided to see if B/N was awake. She sent her a quick text message, but unfortunately didn't receive a reply. Y/N would have left it at that if she hadn't noticed the little green dot by her crush's profile picture on Instagram when she was in search of memes.

Courage rushed over her for a split second, making her send him a short text message of «Hey ».

Almost instantly a buzz came in reply, « It's 2am, what are you doing up? ».

« You're up too! » she texted back, a smile already playing on her lips.

« Touché » C/N said.

Y/N bit her lip, her fingers slowly typing a message she was a little nervous to send. Upon finishing it, she closed her eyes and let her thumb hit enter. « Do you wanna call? »

Relief washed over her when he said, « Sure ».

The phone screen went black as the familiar name of her crush stood proudly at the top, the two coloured buttons positioned neatly at the bottom. With a shaking hand, Y/N pressed the green one and smiled nervously when the screen changed to an actively counting timer with all the call options. She turned on speaker phone, praying that her parents wouldn't wake up.

With the phone resting on the windowsill, Y/N said a soft, "Hi..."

"Hey..."

"Uh... how are you?"

"I'm fine, although I wish I was asleep."

"Sorry, I don't wanna keep you-"

"I couldn't sleep anyway, Y/N. Don't worry... I'm glad you texted me. How are you?"

"Quite happy, to be honest," she murmured, "This is the most relaxed I've been in a while."

"Hm, I know what you mean. Night is so peaceful."

"Yeah..."

"Is there anything in particular you wanted to talk about?"

Y/N was relieved he couldn't see her face when she managed to get herself to say, "No... I just wanted to hear your voice..."

"I see... why is that?"

"Uh, well, it... uh... soothes me, I guess..."

"I'm flattered," he laughed slightly, "Do you want me to tell you a story?"

"Yes please!" her eyes lit up with childlike wonder, C/N chuckling at her adorable tone.

For another three hours they shared stories and experiences, as well as engaging in small fits of laughter that came dangerously close to waking up both of their parents. It wasn't until 5am did Y/N and C/N notice just how long they had been on a call, as the glowing golden sun was starting to peek over the horizon. The orangey-pink sky of sunrise was gorgeous.

"We've been on a call for three hours..." C/N said, "The sun's rising and everything..."

"Yeah... time flies by when you're having fun."

Although Y/N couldn't see it, C/N smiled at that statement from his own room across town. Despite being at least a couple miles apart, there was a certain closeness in knowing they had been staring at the same sky all night while talking.

"Y/N..." he said softly.

She hummed.

"I love you."

Those three words didn't register right away in Y/N's tired mind, but when they did, fireworks and butterflies exploded inside of her stomach. This wasn't a day she had ever thought would come. "I love you too," she said out of instinct, before her mind could stop her mouth.

"Do me a favour, huh?"

"What sort of favour?"

"Call me. Whenever you need to talk to someone, or just want another presence, call me first."

"You sure you wanna deal with me like that?"

"Of course, stupid. I don't care what we talk about as long as I can hear your voice."

"Thanks, C/N... Can you also do a favour for me?"

"Anything."

"Call me first, too."

She could sense that C/N was smiling.

"I promise."

——————

i've been feeling really confident lately and it's quite refreshing since i was going through a rough patch. if you're going through one, just remember there is always a light at the end of a tunnel! i'm here to talk if you need to :)

today's fun fact about moi:~

i have two sugars in my tea

[1025 words]