[𝟵𝟴] 🧸 Fɪɴᴇ Lɪɴᴇ - ℝ𝔼ℚ𝕌𝔼𝕊𝕋

Y/N - your name
L/N - your last name
C/N - crush's name
C/L/N - crush's last name

Song: "Dream Boy" - Beach Bunny

requested by Maddy_Moss_Seph

———————

There's a fine line between love and hate.

That's something that I have learned over the past couple months; the thing is, I can still remember the exact moment my learning curve began, back when there was a new boy at school, by the name of C/N. Arrogant, self-centred, annoying. Nowadays I find it hard to believe I ever spoke of him that way.

"There's a new boy joining our class today," Miss Poppy said. Her name sounded sweet, but she could only be described as the devil in human form. She was, of course, a mathematics teacher, but she was also my form tutor. "His name is C/N C/L/N. Be welcoming." Miss Poppy's words were nice, but her tone was cold and condescending.

I didn't bother to look up from the book I was reading and annotating; my interests were not with the mysterious new boy. Of course, that's when I felt something hard against my foot that was only slightly poking out from underneath my desk, followed by the spilling of a hot brown liquid all over my preciously detailed book... and my lap. Looking up with a frown, I saw a boy I didn't recognise, so was most likely C/N.

He looked at my coffee-stained book, and then my coffee-stained school skirt, with what could only be described as an expressionless face. "So?" I said, "Aren't you gonna apologise?"

"Your foot was sticking out. It's your fault I tripped," he said, before pushing past me with force against my shoulder to go to the back of the classroom. From that day on, the sight of him made my blood boil.

I shift my eyes to look at that same boy sat across from me in my bedroom, making notes in one of his exercise books. He looks up from his work, and meets my eyes with a soft smile that makes my heart melt. "What?" he asks.

"Nothing," I smile, "You're just pretty to look at."

"Tell me something I don't know."

Okay, maybe he is still a little arrogant.

For weeks he was like a mosquito bite that wouldn't go away, itching at my nerves every time I noticed him. He seemed to like purposely inconveniencing me, while I preferred to just avoid him at all costs. It was hard avoiding him, though, especially when I had form room with him every day.

"So, Mr C/L/N, Miss L/N... care to explain your earlier spat?" Miss Poppy said with her arms crossed, having held us back after afternoon form during lunch. C/N and I were sat two desks apart at the front, refusing to look at each other. "Well? What do you have to say for yourselves?"

"Y/N started it," C/N muttered.

"Did not!" I retorted.

Miss Poppy cut us off before it could go any further, "Miss L/N, tell me your version of events."

"C/N kicked my chair, so I turned around and insulted him, and he insulted me back... and so forth..." I said, "I think I was well within my right to retaliate!"

"I only kicked your chair because you took my book!"

"It's my book! You stole it from me last week-"

"Enough," Miss Poppy said, "I don't care about who started it. You are both acting childish and will spend the rest of lunchtime in here sitting in silence."

"I hate you," I mouthed to him, clenching my fist.

"I hate you too," he mouthed back.

I am trying to think of when it all changed... oh, that's right! It was one moment in particular that changed everything between us permanently, which was something I had never deemed possible. I say one moment, it really happened over a few hours, but it was one specific point in those few hours when the switch flipped.

"Do you remember when we stopped hating each other?" I asked C/N, making him look up from his work once more.

"Of course, how could I forget? We were locked in our science classroom."

The bell had just rung, and with the ruckus in the classroom, C/N had seen it as a prime opportunity to slide my open pencil case off the desk, spilling the contents everywhere. All I could do was look at him in distress before I crouched down and began scooping all my stationary up. The classroom quickly cleared out, everyone heading to second lesson, when he knelt beside me and said, "Having fun there?"

~click~

The sound of the classroom door being locked. We were tucked away in a corner at the back of class, meaning the teacher had presumed the room to be empty and locked up. I knew there wasn't another lesson in there until last period; it was the least used science room of them all.

I looked up in panic, having only just collected all my spilled items as I fixed my eyes on the door lock. Stuffing my pencil case into my bag, I picked it up and ran over to the door, desperately trying the door handle to no avail. "It's locked," C/N said from behind me, leaning against one of the desks.

My heart rate began increasing, as my thoughts raced at a million a second. Trapped. I was completely trapped. I had had a fear of it ever since my sibling locked me in our parents' wardrobe when I was seven. So, I did the only logical thing I could think of in the moment: I broke down and blamed C/N. "We're trapped- we're trapped," I sobbed, "All because of you and your stupid need to annoy me!"

He didn't have a snarky remark like usual, in fact, he seemed frozen when he stared at the tears pouring down my cheeks.

"If you hadn't pushed my pencil case off the desk like the asshole you are we would be heading to English like everyone else! You basta-"

"I'm sorry."

I stopped, staring at him with an expression of mixed confusion and distress, "What?"

"I didn't mean to make you have a panic attack."

We gazed at each other in silence for a few seconds, which was exactly when the switch flipped, and I found my lips stretching into a smile alongside his. Before we knew it, we were laughing, as in clutching our bellies and unable to breathe laughing. It seemed as if our crossfire past was long forgotten, and it wasn't long before we were sitting on a table opposite each other as he taught me how to play Shithead with the deck of cards always kept on the teacher's desk.

"Okay, so I can play four sevens here?"

"No," he laughed, "You can't play sevens on top of a nine!"

Even though we weren't released til last period, due to the lack of phone signal and lessons in the room, I didn't mind. I had fun.

As it goes, those were the best hours of my life, and just the starting point in how I have grown to love the arrogant asshole named C/N C/L/N.

"I love you," I say, beaming from ear to ear as I swooned at his gorgeous features I could only now appreciate.

"I love you too."

————————

shithead is my favourite card game!!

i made this longer than normal, but it wasn't long enough to split into two parts. i had my doubts with the request but i actually found it rlly fun to write!!

[1287 words]