[𝟯𝟬] 🧸 Mᴀᴋɪɴɢ Mᴀsᴋs

Y/N - your name
C/N - crush's name

Song: "quiet motions" - mxmtoon

i made a mask for myself yesterday, so i thought... why not write a oneshot about it?

btw you're bf & gf and about 20/21 in this chapter, also you live together

———————

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Y/N and her boyfriend C/N were both stuck at home in their little university flat. They had met in Y/N's first and C/N's second year of uni, and then proceeded to begin dating just a couple months in. It was their second and third year now, respectively. They had moved in together at the beginning of the year.

Thankfully, I might add, as it provided them company while they were trapped indoors, which stopped them from driving themselves to lonely sanity. Neither of them argued much as they had very similar opinions and views, and were also well aware of each other's boundaries. Of course, on top of working from home on an education they were paying good money for, they were getting a little bored.

Each of their families kept trying to convince them to spend lockdown with them, but for each of them the idea of being trapped in a house with toddler nieces and nephews was a living nightmare. They had politely declined the first couple offers, but firmly put their foot down when persistence ensued.

"Why don't we make some masks?" Y/N looked up from her phone and at C/N, who was sat at the other end of the sofa with his legs entwined with hers.

"What d'you mean?" he raised a brow, turning his head from the television.

Flipping the phone screen around, she showed him the PDF document one of her friends had shared with her of a face mask template, "Let's face it, when things do start getting back to normal masks will probably be somewhat required. Plus I think they're cool."

"They do look pretty neat," he nodded, "Do we have the materials?"

"Well, all we need is any kind of tight-weaved fabric, as long as there's enough of it..." she scanned over the instructions, "Some elastic... we can cut that out from old pyjama bottoms... and sewing supplies... It says it's easier to use a sewing machine but you can do it by hand. Ooh! You also need a bit of card to put between the layers..."

C/N moved to get up, "We don't really have a choice."

"Even when this is all over I hope masks are still normalised. I love wearing them but people always assume you're doin' somethin' dodgy..." she pondered.

"Eastern Asians know what's up," he laughed playfully.

"I know right! Anyway, there's some old pillowcases we can use in the wardrobe. You get them while I dig around for some old pyjamas."

Saluting with a cheeky grin, C/N said, "I'll also get the sewing kit your mum gave you last year. Guess it finally has a use."

Once all the materials were gathered, the couple sat on the floor by their coffee table with everything spread out. They had printed off the templates for the shapes and had just gotten to the point of pinning them to the fabric. As C/N got to the process of cutting them out, Y/N began the tedious process of destroying two sets of pyjama bottoms to get the elastic around the waist out. Gratefully, each of the lengths met the required measurements.

Together they began the repetitive process of hand-sewing the separate pieces together. Before attaching the two layers, they used fabric tape to secure the card in the middle. When the main piece was completed, Y/N showed C/N the process of sewing down the two ends to create the loops for the elastic to go through.

Finally, they completed the last step of sewing the elastic down in place so the mask would stay put. Helping each other measure the elastic strip to a fitting size had resulted in them both giggling at the tickling sensation on their necks from the contact.

"Look at us! We're ninjas!" Y/N struck a pose in the mirror, a grin on her face only visible by the fact underneath her eyes was crinkled.

"No way. You're too adorable to be a ninja..." he pulled her into a hug from behind, and rubbed the navy blue mask into her neck.

Frowning and crossing her arms, she said, "Am not. And that scratches... stop it..."

Halting his actions, C/N rested his head on her shoulder and squeezed his arms round her waist tighter, "Why did you stop using this pillowcase, anyway? You love blue..."

Shrugging, Y/N replied, "It's quite old to be honest... I guess I stopped using it when I bought newer ones..."

"I hope you don't do the same to me," he said, ruffling her hair.

"You're not an object!" she protested, "You can't just throw away people!"

"Tell that to the patriarchy," he countered, earning a playful but light whack.

Y/N turned around to face C/N and tilted her head up to bump masks with him, "At least you get that the patriarchy is still very real."

A comfortable silence ensued for a few seconds. But then C/N said, "Right," decidedly, and pulled away to grab Y/N's hand, continuing with, "Let's do the flame test."

Fetching the small box of matches they kept in the 'everything' drawer, both of them tried, and failed, to blow out the flickering flame on the match.

"Now we can go for a corona-free walk!" she clapped her hands excitedly, "Pretend we're gang leaders or something..."

"God, I love you..." he muttered, grabbing his coat.

And she loved him too.

————————

here's the instructions for making a mask if you want them:
https://www.bigcommunitysew.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/ComplexFaceCovering-Instructions.pdf

and the template:
https://www.bigcommunitysew.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/ComplexFaceCoveringPattern.pdf

it doesn't mention the card bit, but i'd highly recommend securing a piece of flexible card between the two layers for better protection

[1021 words]