[𝟴𝟰] 🧸 Sʜʏ Bᴏʏ - ℝ𝔼ℚ𝕌𝔼𝕊𝕋

Y/N - your name
C/N - crush's name

Song: "Just Add Water" - Cavetown

request by @cacaseasonedcooch

————————

Y/N tapped her fingers impatiently against the surface of the smooth marble table, set up in the middle of a temporary art exhibition on her cruise ship. She had won an art competition, and as a result got a few spots in the gallery on the ship that she got four free tickets for. Her parents and sibling were with her, but they were late in coming to see her work on show. They were always late. In fact, it seemed like they weren't even coming: they had appeared pretty distracted with the on-deck pool.

Sighing, she pulled up her sleeve to check her watch for the time, before pulling it back down and calling quits. They were half an hour late, and there was no point waiting any longer, so Y/N took one last glance at her work before slipping between the crowd of people in the room. She stepped outside of the door, which led out on to a deck sheltered by the one above. In an attempt to distract herself, she scanned around in hopes of inspiration, her eyes locking on to a boy stood by himself looking over the sea. He appeared about her age.

Taking a chance, Y/N walked over and leant on the fencing next to him, leaving a decent gap so as not to seem intrusive. "Hey," she said softly, not wanting to completely disturb the boy.

He glanced at her, a widened look of nervous surprise flashing across his pretty eyes. "Hi..." he mumbled cutely.

"I'm Y/N," she smiled, "You looked lonely and I need a distraction."

"...From what?" his tone was so quiet she barely heard it over the waves brushing against the edge of the ship.

Shrugging, she said, "Just petty issues... What's your name?"

"C/N."

"I'm guessing you're not the social butterfly, then?" she said, not waiting for a reply, "That's fair. Sometimes I prefer not to talk."

He hummed.

"How old are you?" Y/N asked, raising an eyebrow, "Sorry for being forward."

"Seventeen..." he said, visibly gulping before saying, "What about you?"

"I'm sixteen... seventeen in a few months. Are you on here with family? Friends?"

"Grandparents," he said, "They... they insisted a holiday would be... would be good for me."

Y/N frowned, "How come?"

"They said it would help... help me get out of my shell..." his tone was still hushed, which she found kind of cute.

"I'm with my parents and sibling... I won free tickets from a national art competition, back in my home-country, New Zealand."

C/N's eyes widened again, "So... you're like... famous?"

She snorted, "Hardly. It was a junior national competition... you have to be very invested in Kiwi art to recognise me."

He stared silently at her face, avoiding eye contact at all costs.

"Hey... uh... do you wanna see my work? It's just through there," Y/N pointed to the door she had come out of, "I'm pretty proud of it... if I do say so myself..."

"Okay..." he mumbled.

"In return, I'll help you become more confident! As you can probably tell, it's an area of expertise of mine."

"You'd do that?"

"Of course!" she grinned, "I love helping others! Plus, I need some company..."

C/N hesitantly accepted the offer, following the strange confident girl into an art exhibition room. She led him over to one particular corner, where two framed pictures and a sculpture were set up.

"There were three rounds in the art competition," she explained, "The first one... collage-" she pointed to a beautiful arrangement of vintage-style images, "-The second one... landscape-" she pointed to a painting of a detailed bluey-pink sunset, "-And the third and final one... sculpture." She pointed to the clay sculpture of Cupid, with what appeared to be Tinkerbell sat on his shoulder.

"They're beautiful..." he murmured.

"Thank you!" Y/N said with a grin, "I adore vintage things, so it seemed natural to capture my aesthetic in the collage... The landscape is of my favourite time of day, painted with my favourite colours and shades... And the sculpture portrays my belief that love- Cupid -conspires with dreamworld, AKA Neverland, AKA where Tinkerbell is from."

C/N sighed in awe, "That's so clever..."

"Thanks... at least you care..." Y/N said, shaking her head and putting a smile back on, "Oh! I never asked... where are you from?"

"Australia."

"Woah! That's so cool! We're not that far apart."

C/N nodded shyly.

Taking note of his reluctancy when speaking, Y/N began concocting a lesson plan in her mind, using her natural creativity. "I know we've just met... but do you wanna start with the confidence lessons now?" she tilted her head, "I think I know a good starting point."

His eyes lifted from the ground and briefly met with hers, mixed curiosity and fear flashing over the colour of his irises.

"We, my newfound friend, are going to start simple... Basic small talk!" she said the last part so loud it was heard over the soft hum of classical music playing the background, earning her glares from art enthusiasts. Y/N quickly apologised to them all, grabbing C/N's wrist and pulling him out the room. He had been frozen stiff and unable to move after both her words and the attention they received, so it was down to her to get him out of there.

She stopped them on a bench along the outer wall.

"I'm not going to say it's easy... everyone experiences socialising differently," Y/N said, "But, I'm sure with enough practise we can get you confident enough to maybe step out your comfort zone once in a while."

C/N gulped. He couldn't imagine ever being able to maintain conversation with someone who wasn't as persistent as Y/N was.

"All you have to do first is learn some basic surefire lines!"

Needless to say, the shy boy had a lot in store for him.

————————

this is only part one of the request! see u soon my dear children...

today's fun fact about moi:~

i intend to move to new zealand when i'm older

[1048 words]