[𝟮𝟯] ⚠️ Fɪɴᴀʟ Pʀᴏᴍ

Y/N - your name
C/N - crush's name
B/N - best friend's name
C/B/N - crush's best friend's name

Song: "Prom Queen" - Beach Bunny

i know loads of beach bunny songs, but this is one you guys are most likely to recognise :)

⚠️warning! kinda angsty! suicidal!⚠️

——————

School had been an excruciatingly long experience. But now it all seemed like a blur. Everything that had ever happened within the walls of this hellhole seemed temporarily absent as the streamers and balloons decorated the sports hall. Past grievances and conflicts were forgotten. Everyone was an emotional and happy mess.

Everyone except Y/N.

On one hand, she was relieved that she could finally leave the very place that manifested insecurities, popularity battles and bullying for good. But on the other hand, standing in this hall in a stupidly fancy prom dress just made her compare herself yet again to all the skinnier and prettier popular girls and made her feel that annoyingly familiar feeling of emptiness and self-worthlessness.

What was she compared to them?

Nothing.

Y/N had never been popular, but she had also never been unpopular. She had a somewhat comfortable place in the middle class of the statuses; the populars didn't hate her and she didn't hate the unpopulars. But for her, that just made her insecurities worse. People noticed the unpopulars: sure, maybe it was in a negative way where they degraded and insulted them, but they were on everyone's radar. However, whenever Y/N entered the classroom or canteen, nobody's fucking radar beeped. She was just an extra in everyone else's lives, not even a side character.

If school was a movie, she would only have a millisecond of screen time.

The scars littered on her arms and thighs were physical evidence that she wasn't content with her life. Of course, no one ever saw them. No one but Y/N. Her dress was long-sleeved and flowed to the floor: the dark grey colour loosely representing the abyss her soul was. The abyss school had made her soul.

Maybe she would have committed suicide if it wasn't for the one ray of hope that had actually given her a reason to come to school. C/N.

It was selfish that Y/N's own best friend wasn't the reason she kept going, and as close as they were she just couldn't bring herself to share how she felt. B/N would always mean the world to Y/N, but she didn't make her feel like she should keep going. You're such a horrible friend, Y/N. You don't deserve B/N.

C/N. The handsome boy dressed neatly in an ironed black suit with a little red flower tucked in his pocket. The handsome boy that made Y/N laugh in biology and history. The handsome boy that made her heart melt and head feel dizzy.

The handsome boy that unknowingly kept her alive.

He hadn't come with a date to the prom; much like Y/N. C/N had come with his other single friends, apart from his very own best friend who just so happened to be with B/N. Standing in the corner of the room with an untouched cup of punch in her hand, Y/N observed the room full of people she knew and didn't.

C/B/N was dancing with B/N. The queen bee was laughing with her friends. That one openly weeb kid was by the snack table. The only out gay couple were making out. The jocks were pretending to get drunk off of punch. C/N was walking towards her.

C/N was walking towards her.

Nervously, Y/N's failing eyes met C/N's. His mouth was shaped into that gorgeous smile that he owned; his eyes were twinkling like a million billion stars. Everything about him was ethereal. And everything about her was not.

"Hey, Y/N," his soft voice shattered her thoughts like glass, "How are you?"

"Alright," she lied, "You?"

"Feeling nostalgic already," C/N said with a sigh, "I'm gonna miss a lot about this place... the people... the teachers... you..." The last part was muttered, but Y/N's ever-alert ears picked it up.

Her eyes widened at what he said, making the smile on his face grow wider. Y/N placed the punch down on the table before breathing a confused and bewildered, "...What?"

"I love you, Y/N," he said, "I figured I had to tell you tonight, otherwise I might never see you again."

"C/N... I..." she trailed off, avoiding eye contact.

"Look, I don't want you to reject me yet," he said firmly, "Wait until we've had one dance... please..." Saying the please made his voice crack to a more melancholy and desperate tone.

Reaching out to grab her wrist, Y/N winced, despite how gentle his touch had been. He felt her flinching beneath him, making his eyes flicker to her wrist with a frown etched on to his face. Tears pricked at her eyes but she fought to hold them back, even as she saw the penny drop in his mind.

"Looking back... it was so obvious..." he whispered, half to himself, half to her, "You wore long sleeves no matter how hot it was... you'd go all quiet when mental health came up... Y/N I'm so sorry..."

"It's not your fault," Y/N forced out between gritted teeth, "It's mine. For not being good enough. For being too fat. For being too ugly."

"Y/N..." his hand slipped down to hers, intertwining their fingers, "Believe me when I tell you that you are the most beautiful girl I've ever seen, even if you were fat you'd still be beautiful. And don't even get me started on what an amazingly intelligent and funny person you are."

Her eyes were cast down as she said softly, "I love you, C/N. But I'm not good enough for you. Even if what you say is true, I'm broken and scarred. I'm unlovable."

"Then explain how I love you," he smiled, a hint of sad sympathy present, "Dance with me, let me be your boyfriend, and let me help you see just how amazing you are."

"Good luck," Y/N sniffed sadly, "But okay..."

And you know what? C/N did a pretty darn good job.

———————-

ahaha ✌🏻

[1064 words]