Chapter 57: Off to Kansas

Hotch and Spencer were in the attic one Saturday, digging out fall and winter clothes. Though it was September and October had some warm days Hotch didn't want his charge to get sick. Hotch got out his clothes and found some of Jacks old fall and winter clothes. He washed them since they've been sitting in the attic for awhile. All nice and clean Hotch had his charge try them on. Some were too big but he thought JJ and Garcia could fix them.

After that Hotch put on his and Spencers shoes. Taking a tiny hand in his they went for a walk.

"Hey Hotch!" called a voice.

He and Spencer turned and found Emily and JJ walking towards them. Spencer let go of Hotchs hand and ran up to them. JJ scooped up the toddler and hugged him, and Emily carded a hand through his hair.

"Hi Emily, Hi JJ." The toddler greeted.

"Hi Handsome. Hey Hotch." Emily said.

"Hi you two." JJ said.

"Hello ladies." Hotch said.

They started walking.

"So what're you and Boy Genius up too?" Emily asked.

"Well we went through the attic to find fall and winter clothes." Hotch said. "Some of Jacks old clothes though are too big for him."

"I could fix them, or I could find some of Henrys old clothes. They should fit him." JJ said.

"Thanks. What're two up too?" He asked.

"Just hanging out. We invited Garcia for a girls day out but she's with Morgan." Emily said.

"I don't want to know what's going on there." JJ joked.

They laughed. Feeling a head lay on her shoulder, she looked at the sleeping boy in her arms.

"Um Hotch. I think it's a certain someones naptime." JJ said.

Hotch and Emily smiled when they saw Spencer using JJ as a pillow. Hotch took the boy from JJ, startling him awake. Hotch rubbed his back.

"Go back to sleep buddy. I've got you." He soothed.

Spencer buried his face in Hotchs shoulder and dropped back off. They chatted alittle and said their byes. When he started walking he heard thunder. Spencer moved restlessly.

"It's ok, it's alright. I got ya. Let's get you home." He said.

When he got home he took his and Spencers shoes off and settled in the rocker. Lighting then filled the sky and the power went out.

'Got home just in time.' He thought.

He continued to rock his charge. There was a knock at the door. He put Spencer down on the couch. He placed pillows on the floor in case he rolled off, and grabbed his gun. He looked through the window and saw Stauss? He opened the door and stepped outside.

"Can't we talk inside?" She asked.

"Spencer's sleeping. I don't to wake him." He said almost coldly.

"Well. Since the power's down and my cell is broken, I came to inform you that your team has a case in Kansas. I expect you on the jet tonight." She said handing him a file. With that she left.

Hotch rolled his eyes and went back inside. He was glad to see his charge was still sleeping. He read over the case and went upstairs to pack his and Spencers go-bags, and contact the team.

Spencer woke up and found Hotch wasn't in the room. He climbed upstairs and found him packing their go-bags. He went to him and leaned on his leg. Hotch looked down and smiled when he the messy haired boy. He scooped him up and sat him on the bed while he packed. He told the half-asleep toddler they had a case to get tonight. Spencer hopped off the bed and went into his room. He grabbed Artemis and his go-bag and went back to Hotchs room. Hotch chuckled at the toddler. He came back in dragging his go-bag behind him, holding Artemis in one hand, and his thumb was in his mouth.

All packed and loaded the two headed off for the air strip. When they got on the jet Spencer wasn't the only one who was grumpy, then again Spencer fell back asleep on the way there. They all chuckled. Morgan took the half-asleep grumpy two year old.

"Hey Mr. Grumpy gils." He teased.

Spencer looked up and death glared him. Morgan raised his hands in surrender. The others laughed. They talked about what they were gonna when they landed. The station didn't expect them til tomorrow and none of them had supper yet. They made arrangments to eat then go to the hotel and begin profiling. They agreed. For now they just chilled, enjoyin each others company.