58

(y/n) - your name

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I peek my head out of my bedroom, looking down either side of the hallway to make sure it was clear as I creeped out before walking quietly. It was the dead of night, everyone has definitely gone to sleep as I headed towards the kitchens that were finally free of the uptight and strict royal chefs.

After my day out with Loki, he had to go do some pretend king stuff and I figured why not make him a birthday cake. I had missed out on his previous birthdays and I thought this would be a fun way to teach him another Midgardian tradition.

Plus I just really wanted him to feel loved and not forgotten.

I reach the kitchen and gently closing the door, before lighting up some candles around the area. I got all the equipment and ingredients I needed, looking up a recipe that I could follow since I had no cooking skills whatsoever.

God, I hope this doesn't end up as a disaster.

I started making the cake, letting my phone play some songs on the lowest level as I hummed to the beat. I mindlessly danced to the rhythm while making the cake, mixing together ingredients before pouring it into a cake pan and carefully putting it in the oven. I started cleaning up the utensils as I waited for the cake to be done, taking it out of the oven once it was. I let it cool, making the icing and frosting, nicely layering up the final two onto the cake and writing 'Happy Birthday Loki' in green on the cake.

I swayed my hips as I sang lowly, picking up the cake with both hands and turning around. "Jesus fucking christ!" I yell out as I see someone, tumbling over my feet and I gasp as I try to save the cake. I feel someone catch me, their arm around my waist while the other held the cake safely. Loki was chuckling above me and I blush but glare at him for scaring me.

"You truly are amusing."

"How many times have I told you not to do that! I could've dropped the cake!" Loki gently sets it down but doesn't release his grip on me. "I worked hard on it!"

"What is it?"

"It's a birthday cake!" Loki looks at me in confusion and I notice him wearing a soft-looking black pj set that makes his eyes almost glow in the dark.

Oh fuck...

I shake my throat and clear my head-I mean- "God damnit." I sigh out, fanning away the blush but I know it was useless. "I made it for you." I look up at Loki as he points at himself in absolute shock.

"For me?" I nod, summoning over two plates, a knife and two spoons to settle on the table in front of us.

"A cake is a baked sweet that we make on days of celebration, like birthdays."

"Birthdays?" Loki was intrigued by the cake, reading the lettering on the top. "'Happy birthday Loki'. That's me." I chuckle at his childlike wonder.

"That's correct. A birthday is when we celebrate the day of someone's birth every year on the same day."

"Why would you do that? It seems a little frivolous and such a waste of time."

"Well, we do it to show that the person is getting older but to celebrate them as a person cause we love them." I grin as I summon over a lighter, sparking the candles aflame which trances Loki in awe. Even I was lowkey fascinated.

That's pyromaniacs for you.

"You do this, every year?" I nod as Loki questions with a soft voice.