9.4

"Why are you grinning like a monkey?"

He asked maintaining his ever stoic face and she pouted at his comment.

"I have a surprise for you. Wo dekhne ke baad you would also grin like this."

She said confidently and he raised his eyebrows. She went to her almirah and took out the frame hiding it behind her back.

She stood in front of him and showed him the frame with a mouth splitting grin.

"Tada!"

She said and saw his expressions change from curiosity to sadness to anger to mad rage.

She had seen his anger but he looked furious right now. And honestly it sent shivers down her body. Not good ones.

He snatched the frame from her and threw it on the bed pulling her closer by clutching her arms. His nails dug into her arms painfully.

She cried in pain as tears stung her eyes.

"Where did you get this from? Kisne kaha tha tumhe isse bahar nikalne ko? There was a reason it was kept inside. Lekin nhi! Tumhe har cheez mai interfere krna hai. Why can't you just shut up and sit at one place?"

He yelled and she looked down trying to control her tears. He shook her making her look at him teary eyed.

"Answer me! Why the hell did you touch it?"

"I-I am sorry. Please leave me Karan. You-you're hurting me."

She whispered while sniffing and he left her with a jerk as if her touch burned him and went to the washroom banging the door loudly making her flinch.

She sobbed and rushed out of the room with the frame. She put the frame back in the store room and wiped her tears moving out.

She bowed her head when she saw her father-in-law.

"Arre beta! Soye nhi aap abhi? Preeta beta? Kya hua? Aap ro rhe ho?"

"Nhi papa. Kuch nhi."

She replied in a weak whisper and he sighed.

"Karan se ladai hui? Why is he so short tempered? Ab kis baat pr gussa hua wo?"

Preeta's lip wobbled again and she sniffed telling him everything, complaining like a child complains to her father.

His expression changed from annoyance to sadness and finally settled on guilt.

"It was not anger. It was his pain."

He whispered and Preeta looked at him confused.

"Come sit."

He said and they sat on the sofa in the living room.

"Karan was really close to her mother. Just like every other child is. Everything was fine. We were happy in our lives. When that one day everything changed."

Preeta looked at her father-in-law. He had tears in his eyes.

"It was a normal day. I was getting ready for work and Karan was getting ready for school. Aur Gautami. She was running behind us shouting and scolding us to get our things. Typical wives and mothers."

He said with a smile remembering his wife. His expressions changed to pained ones as he remembered what happened next.

"Everything was good when we heard her screams from the kitchen. We ran there and saw her aflame. Her clothes had caught fire. We somehow managed to stop the fire and rush her to the hospital but it was too late. The burns were too deep in her skin and we lost her that day."

Preeta's tears fell non-stop.

"Karan was only 10. I can't even imagine what he would be going through. For a boy his mother is his first love and his world. And losing her at such a young age I can't even imagine. Jab bhi Gautami ki picture dekhta he started screaming and crying and so I had to remove all her pictures from the house."

He wiped his tears and said.

"I was such a bad father. I should have been there for him, to console him, to hug him when he cried. But instead maine kya kia? When he came crying that people in school bullied him for being an orphan I told him that showing emotions is equal to showing people your weakness. Instead of hugging him and assuring him that tere papa dekh lenge sab ko, I asked him to ignore everyone and his feelings. I am the reason my son is like this. I am so sorry beta."

He cried and Preeta didn't know what to say.

When she entered her room Karan was still in the washroom. She was contemplating whether to knock or not but decided to let him be for some time. She had unknowingly opened his wounds.

She laid on the bed and covered herself with the duvet trying to process what she had got to know.

The door of the washroom was opened and Preeta pretended to be asleep. Karan came out and his eyes fell on her sleeping form.

He sat beside her and his eyes fell on her wound from his tight grip earlier. Guilt seeped into his heart and he got up bringing the ointment.

He applied it on her wounds and leaned near her face.

He kissed her forehead and whispered softly.

"I am sorry, butterfly."

Preeta smiled and as he sat straight she whispered.

"It's okay."

She opened her eyes and looked at him with a wide grin making him look away in embarrassment.

"You were awake!"

She could see his ears turn pink and she giggled at his cuteness.

"Thank God I was. Warna mujhe aapka ye caring roop dekhne ko nhi milta."

"It wasn't care ok. I jist realised that I overreacted."

He was not ready to accept that he cared. Fine. She was also a player then.

"Nhi you were right. I shouldn't have interfered in your family matters."

He shook his head looking at her and said.

"You are family."

"I know lekin mujhe-"

"You are my family Preeta. You are my wife!"

He said and she felt butterflies in her stomach.

**************************************
Please do leave your comments.

Also, please vote for the story.😊🙏🏻

Laters!!😘❤️