🦅

Written by: UGHlashton
___

Vincent's brown wings ruffled as soft winds gently ran through each feather as he took in his surroundings with a sigh of pleasure.

The weather was gorgeous with crystal blue skies and the crisp scent of pine trees lingered in the air. Vincent grinned, blue-green eyes scanning over the scenery. The trees seemed to go on for miles like a blanket of spring green.

Vincent was as happy as he could be as he landed on a branch, stumbling slightly on his bare feet.

He took a seat and pulled off his pack, undoing the strong grass that weaved through the top and bottom. He grabbed a blackberry that was wrapped in a mint leaf. Blackberries grew by the stream that he lived by so his main food source was fruit.

His legs swung back and forth absentmindedly as he unwrapped the fruit and bit into the fruit, somewhat dozing out. It spilled on his brown leaf shirt making him quickly wipe it away.

He continued to munch on his lunch as he watched the wildlife around him. Squirrels and chipmunks gathered near the trees, collecting the food the trees gave to them.

Suddenly, the birds around him stopped chirping making Vincent furrow his brows in confusion. He looked down only to see the little critters scamper away in fear.

Before Vincent could react, a large and dark shadow covered his whole body. Vincent gasped, dropping his lunch and getting to his feet to fly only to have taloned claws grab at his left shoulder.

Vincent screamed, frantically tugging away from the predatory bird that had started to fly. Tears pooled in his eyes at the sheer pain. His mind was panicking, trying to find a solution that wouldn't get him killed.

Grabbing the knife made of stone that rested on his waist, he grabbed the weapon and stabbed the bird in the side. It screeched loudly, dropping Vincent to his death.

For the first time, Vincent was scared of heights.

Flapping his wings desperately, the drop seemed so far, yet so close. His left wing screamed in pain as he hit a tree, feeling like a pinball as he fell to the ground with a thump.

The breath was knocked out of his chest. His breath was uneven, trying to regain it. Tears trailed down his cheeks as he laid there helplessly like a trapped animal.

Vincent whimpered as harsh trembles of the earth shook underneath him, almost unable to have enough strength to curl onto his side.

He curled his wings around himself and waited.

-----

Nico felt the fresh grass crumple under his vans as he hosted the two grocery bags in his hands for a better grip.

The trip through the forest was peaceful and gave Nico time to think about his book. He usually walked through the forest because it was a huge difference from the LA city lights and cars that rumbled through the streets.

The trip to the grocery story was also quicker through the park.

He squinted, looking up at the bright sun only to be covered by a large bird that seemed to attack a much tinier bird, who chirped helplessly as it latched onto it, digging its claws into it.

To Nico's surprise, the large bird screeched loudly, dropping the poor bird to the ground.

Nico quickly dropped his bags on the ground as it started to fall, smacking into a couple trees with a sickening thud as it falls into a bush.