🐚

written by kyojin- !! ily bbY

____

Luke watched in confusion as a tiny scurried across the sand, stopping at a woman's feet and looking up at her with sad eyes, obviously begging for a piece of food.

The woman shook her head in disgust before kicking the little thing to the side, causing the tiny to reel back and stumble before falling flat on his stomach in the sand.

     Luke watched in pity as the woman stomped off, leaving the poor starving tiny to haul himself to his feet, brush himself off, and look around for another person to beg.

     The teenager walked forward, glancing around before kneeling down in front of the miniscule being. The boy looked up at him, fearful eyes bloodshot and rimmed with red.

     The tiny had wavy beach-blonde hair and dark tan skin. The scraps of fabric he wore as garments lay draped across his skinny form, arms and legs resembling toothpicks.

     He took a step back as the human kneeled down in front of him, obviously frightened and expecting some sort of pain to be inflicted upon him by the boy.

     Luke's eyes softened. The frightened boy was starving and looking up at him in fear. He slowly cupped his hand behind him and brought his other hand forward, carefully knocking his legs out from under him so he fell back in his palm. The tiny boy let out a whimper as he fell back, opening his mouth to speak, but thinking better of it and falling silent.

     Luke lifted him up and held him close to his chest. "Are you hungry, little one?" He asked softly, raising a finger to press against his little chest. The small boy looked up at him in confusion, nodding slowly. He looked hesitant, eyes wide, sitting up straight and tense like a deer in headlights.

     Luke smiled down at him gently, reassuringly as he rose to his feet and turned to walk back to his towel.

"What's your name?" He asked softly, lifting the tiny boy's chin up to meet his gaze.

     The tiny boy clasped his hands together, meeting the human's soft chocolate-brown gaze with frightened orbs of blue.

     The tiny's voice was soft and hoarse, but Luke thought he knew what he'd said.

     "Ash? Is that it?"

     A timid nod, followed by a hoarse cough. Luke smiled. "Hello, Ash," he murmured, taking the tiny boy's hand inbetween his thumb and forefinger. "I'm Luke, okay? I won't hurt you.... do you like turkey sandwiches?"

     Ash nodded, hesitantly grabbing ahold of the human's forefinger as he kneeled down by a small cooler. With his free hand, Luke opened the cooler and pulled out half a sandwich.

     Ash felt his mouth begin to water, slowly reaching up for a piece with grabby little hands. Luke sat down under his umbrella, feeling the hot sun beating down on the back of his neck from overhead. He placed the tiny down on the towel and handed a large chunk of the deli sandwich to him, watching with a feeble smile as he eagerly took it in his grabby little hands and dug in.

     Luke crossed his legs, peering down at Ash as he ate. His friends had gone swimming at the dock, leaving him here alone, which meant he had at least half an hour with Ash before his friends returned.

     Not that his friends would hurt the tiny-hopefully-but they'd most likely poke fun at Luke for being so eager to feed the little one.

     He was pulled from his thoughts when he felt a small hand against his thigh.

     Ash was trying to climb into his lap, having finished the piece he'd been given.

     Luke cooed softly as the tiny boy tried to clamber up onto his thigh. He helped him up, placing a finger under his little feet. Ash stumbled, falling against his abdomen with a soft whimper. He looked up at Luke with round, doe-like eyes.

     Luke smiled softly. "Hey there, little one," He cooed softly, cupping a hand around the small boy to hold him against his bare stomach. Ash let out a squeak, pushing against him in protest for a moment before falling limp, hands falling to his sides. Luke smiled.

     "Want some more?"

     "Y-Yes, please.... Luke." 

     Luke's round mocha eyes lit up as the little thing spoke, whispering his name at the end of his soft-spoken plea. He held the sandwich to the boy's mouth, letting him pull off sizeable pieces to nibble on.

     The small boy eventually felt full, hesitantly sitting down against Luke's stomach. Luke tossed the rest of the sandwich into the sand, watching as two seagulls swooped down to devour it.

     It wasn't unusual to see tinies wandering around public places, homeless and hungry. Some were kept as pets, some were abused, others living inside humans' houses and stealing food from the hosts when they were asleep.

     Luke knew he couldn't leave this boy here to wander the beach and beg for scraps of food like a seagull.

     "Hey, Ash?"

     "W-What?" The tiny's voice wavered and he sat up, expecting to be asked to leave.

     "Do you wanna come home with me?" Luke asked softly, cupping a hand around his skinny little frame so that he wouldn't slip off his thigh. He cooed softly as two little hands were placed on his knuckle, but his smile faded when he heard a soft sniffle from the boy.

     Ash was crying, tears rolling down his cheeks and pooling at the edge of his face. Luke blinked in confusion. "N-No, Ash, what's wrong?"

     Luke's confusion melted away as the tiny boy smiled up at him, a bright, happy, genuine smile. "Y-Yes, yes, p-please," he choked up, his small voice quivering. "th-thank you. Thank you, L-Luke."

     Ash wasn't homeless and starving anymore. He was loved, and cared for, and that was something he had never felt before.

     And it was something Luke was happy to give him.