📚

Garrett stirred the sauce slowly, mixing in the flower. It quickly began to dry out. "What's next?" He asked softly, stirring the unfinished alfredo.

Max sat in on the counter beside Garrett. He bit his lip, he looked at the sheet of paper in front of him.

It was the recipe. He bit his lip.

"Max what's the next step?" The borrower opened his mouth to reply but nothing came out. "Dude."

Unknown to the giant the poor boy couldn't read, everything just looked like squiggles to him. He bit his lip, hearing the agitation growing in the giant's voice.

"Oh my god!" He snapped, his short temper going out. He grabbed the recipe from beneath Max.

Max stumbled, knowing he was upset. He shrank back, tears pooled in his eyes. He quickly ran down his grappling rope, which was still connected to the counter. He heard the giant sigh softly.

"Max, wait-" it was too late. Max had already ran from the giant, disappearing into the walls. He hopped on his bed and began to cry.

The small boy curled up right. He felt stupid and useless. He whimpered, biting down on his pillow to muffle his crying.

He laid there for a long while, tracing the soft blanket with his finger. Eventually there was a knock on the outside of the wall.

He flinched slightly and ducked down into his blankets. The boy was terrified that he was still mad, he knew he couldn't help it but Garrett didn't.

He heard the giant sigh, "Max, please," he mumbled. He sounded guilty, tired.

Hesitantly Max got up, he crawled out of his bed and out into the open with Garrett, his hands nervously laced together. He looked up at his friend nervously.

A finger came down and brushed the side of his face, his hand cupped beside him. He flinched back slightly. "I'm sorry for getting upset with you." Garrett murmured.

Max bit his lip. "I-It's okay," he whispered softly, hesitantly leaning into the offered comfort.

Garrett hesitated, "What happened?" He asked, "In the kitchen I mean," he murmured, laying down on the ground and meeting Max's little eyes.

Max bit his lip, he fiddled with his hands. He knew Garrett wouldn't believe him if he said nothing. He once again was hit with a wave of insecurities. "I-I," he stammered nervously. "I can't read."

Tears gathered in his eyes and he quickly wiped them away, stepping back from the boy. His eyes found the ground and he sniffled softly. There was silence, he whimpered and his eyes panned up.

Garrett's eyes were wide, his mouth slightly agape.

Max began to cry again, feeling like a freak. He tried to bite back his sobs. "Hey," Garrett's hushed voice murmured. Max felt a giant fingertip hook under his chin and gently tilted his face up. He whimpered softly. "I-It's okay, but, but why didn't you tell me, bubba?" He asked.

Max's eyes widened slightly at the unexpected nickname. He sniffled and shrugged; he flinched slightly as the giant brushed back his tears. "I-I don't know, you-you always read like it was so easy. A-And I just thought you'd think, you'd think I was stupid or something." He whimpered softly.

Garrett was frowning. He shook his head and gently scooped him up, bringing him to his eyes. He brushed back his hair and wiped away his tears again.

"Max, not being able to read doesn't make you stupid." He whispered, his gentle breathing ruffled Max's hair. The small boy sniffled. "You're not stupid." He promised him.

Max mumbled a thank you and hugged his nose. Garrett bit his lips; Max had never really known half as much as Garrett. The borrower was never taught how to do math and could only count to twenty, he had lived alone for the majority of his life. He ate nothing but stale crumbs, never given the opportunity to live.

He knew the small boy was insecure about the matter so he did his best not to bring it up too often.

Garrett stood suddenly, apologizing as Max whimpered in surprise.

He climbed up into the attic; he found a cardboard box marked 'Books'. He smiled softly and took out the small picture books. He was raised to read off of them. His childhood.

Max curiously peeked out his hand, looking up in confusion.

Garrett took the large box back to his room with him. He sat on his bed and took out the simplest one he could. He sat down with Max; he grinned softly.

"I'm gonna teach you how to read." He said with a smirk. Max looked up in shock. He laughed softly. He opened the book; he pointed to the first word. Max stared at it and swallowed thickly.

Garrett spent all afternoon going over the alphabet and sounding out words. After reading through the book with the help of Garrett five times, Max was finally able to read it by himself. He finished with a proud smile.

Garrett applauded him with a grin. Max bit his lip and blushed softly. "Can we read another?" The small boy asked shyly.

Garrett laughed softly, "Mm, it's getting late, but we can read all day tomorrow. Sound good?" He asked Max with a smile. The borrower didn't hesitate to agree.

Garrett vowed to continue to help his little friend until he could read fluently on his own. The larger boy looked at the picture book.

It wasn't much.

But it was a start.

______

i've been so inconsistent with this book aaaaaa

a lot has been happening in my life, school's eating me alive, i'm changing, i'm growing.

i've changed a l o t since the start of this book.

thank you to all who have been here through this journey.

i love you all so so so much!!!

stay safe!

-amelia