🙊

I gasped as my father pushed me hard against the wall, his forearm pushing against my throat. I whimpered, clawing at his arm, tears pooled in my eyes, "What the hell is wrong with you?" He screamed.

I choked out a sob, leaning away from him. I had snuck into the food stash, I couldn't help it. It felt like my stomach was eating itself. "I-I'm s-sorry. Please, father-" I whimpered, tears freely streaming down my cheeks.

My father cut me off with a harsh slap, "You are no son of mine," He growled, I didn't look at him, I just sobbed harder, "You're nothing but a disappointment, a little bitch." I didn't disagree.

He grabbed me by my collar making me squeak in alarm, trying to squirm free. He opened the door that lead out of the walls, I gasped struggling more. My father easily threw my petite form out of the door, I winced as I landed on my side. I quickly regained my senses and made a break for the door only to have it slammed in my face.

I clawed at the door desperate to get in, I needed to get in. It wasn't safe in the open, sobs clawed at my throat, images of torture flashed inside my skull. "Father! Please, I-I'm sorry!" I cried, slamming my fist against the door, knowing that my knuckles would bruise as a result.

I should've ran for cover when I had the chance but it was too late. My blood ran cold as a shadow fell over me, my heart pounded against my ribcage as I turned around. Any blood left in my face drained as my eyes met a wall of denim.

A human. A borrower's worst fear.

I shrieked a sob and clawed at the door, "Please!" I screamed, "Father! Ple-Plea-Please." My cries simmered into whimpers as I slid to my knees, the never-ending gaze of the human burning into my back like knives.

Something large and warm gently grazed my back and I flinched, curling into myself more, sobbing harder. The human's hesitant fingers wrapped around my waist, his grip was gentle but I knew at anytime he could tighten his fingers and crush me like a bug.

I was raised to his face, I whimpered as my stomach churned from vertigo. I trembled as his eyes scanned over my body, I opened my eyes and more tears streamed down my face. He was an older man, only a few years younger than my father it seems, he had locks of salt and pepper brown hair with scruff peppering his jaw, his blue eyes held a confusing mix of emotions; pity, awe, kindness, worry.

"Hello," He breathed, I whimpered, shying back as his warm breath washed over me, "It-It's okay. I won't hurt you, um whatever you are." He protectively placed a hand below the one I was held in, to make sure there was no way I could fall.

As the human began to walk I instinctively clutched his thumb, closing my eyes tight so I couldn't see how high up I was. Suddenly the human stopped walking, I hesitantly opened one eye. My other eye snapped open as I gasped, there was another human in front of me; a woman this time.

I choked out a scream, struggling to get out of the man's loose fist. "N-N-No!" I yelled, voice cracking with sobs. Instinctively the man's fist tightened so I wouldn't fall, I froze. Bottom lip trembling, heart fluttering like hummingbird wings.

I realized how helpless I was in this situation and was suddenly dizzy, tears streamed as my eyes fell shut and I fell unconscious against the man's knuckle.

_________

My eyes fluttered, something was different. I was warm; I was never warm. Maybe father had finally taken mercy and given me a blanket. I opened my eyes and sat up in surprise, a fluffy blanket sliding off my shoulders. I was on a human table, I turned and gasped in horror, memories flooding back.

A human stared at me with warm brown eyes, his head resting sideways on crossed arms. Taking me in, my adam's apple bobbed fearfully. I could feel myself shaking, I knew I couldn't run, I would easily be caught. So we just stared.

I flinched as the human shifted, he smiled sadly. "I won't hurt you," he promised quietly. The human was young, my age probably, fluffy locks of brown hair stopped just above his forehead, freckles were messily scattered across his cheeks and forehead, blue eyes stuck out against his bi-racial skin tone. "I'm Adam."

I realized I was staring and looked away, blushing softly. I pulled my blanket onto my shoulders, stealing small glances at the human. I furrowed my eyebrows as I saw his nails, they were a dark violet.

He must've noticed me staring because a few moments later he spoke up, "I uh, did them a few days ago. I like the color." He held his nails in front of his face, examining them. He paused, "What happened to your arms?"

My eyes widened, I quickly pulled my blanket over them. There were bruises coating them from my dad. My dad. Tears gathered in my eyes, he'd gotten me caught. He didn't care about me. The only family I knew had left me to die.

"Are you crying?" Adam breathed, I refused to look at him; humiliated. A single tear ran down my cheek, I quickly wiped it away. "Oh, oh no please don't do that," He begged, his eyes filled with worry.

He cupped his hand around my back and I didn't pull away. He was warm, comforting. Borrowers aren't supposed to trust them, I should be trying to escape. What was wrong with me? He lifted me from my feet, holding me against his chest. I shut my eyes, timidly placing my head against his chest. I could hear his heart beating as clear as day.

"I'm sorry I scared you," Though his voice was soft it rumbled, shaking me to the core. it sounded like it was on the verge of breaking. I shook my head against his chest.

"I-It's n-not you." I stammered, the human pulled me away from his chest. Looking at me in surprise.

"Y-You can speak," He breathed, I shied back. I should've never said a word, "I-uh, sorry it's just weird, n-not you! Th-that you can speak."

A breath of a smile washed over my features, I shook my head. Suddenly a loud voice from the other room yelled out. I flinched, heart pounding, breathes coming and going irregularly fast. They kept yelling, memories of my father screaming at me flashed in my head. I whimpered and covered my ears in a fruitless attempt to block out the man.

"It's okay he's not yelling at you." Adam whispered to me, my lips trembled anyway. Without me saying having to say a word the boy cupped me to his chest once again, somehow knowing I needed comfort. Holding me tight, I breathed in his scent.

I couldn't tell you how much I wished I could've had a hug like this when my father took his anger out on me. I shut my eyes and focused on controlling my breathing, the door to the room clicked open and I gasped. Leaning against my human for support, the man who had originally found me walked in.

Anger was on his face but when he looked up it softened to surprise seeing me in what I assumed was his son's hands. I stared at him fearfully for a moment before burying my face into my giant's sweater.

A chair squeaked indicating that the older man sat down, suddenly I was pulled away from Adam's shirt. I squealed and  tried to latch on, but it was fruitless. I was set in front of the older man. I whimpered fearfully, moving closer to Adam for support.

"Hi there," The man whispered, "I'm Xaviar, I'm sure you already met Adam. What's your name, kiddo."

I hesitated, looking up at Adam who smiled encouragingly, "T-Tyler." He murmured softly, picking at his nails.

Xaviar smiled and the corners of his eyes crinkled, "My wife, Liota is making dinner and you'll meet my other son Caspar soon, okay?"

I felt overwhelmed but nodded anyway, Xaviar stood and I pushed myself back. I had to look straight up to see his face, chills ran down my spine. The older man left the room leaving Adam and I alone. I looked up at his face, "C-Can I sleep for a bit?" I asked quickly and quietly.

"Of course Tyler." He smiled softly, instead of going for my blanket I crawled into his warm palm and nuzzled into him. I blushed softly as he stared at me.

"Thank you f-for being so kind," I murmur shyly. Adam chuckled and nodded.

"Sleep," he coaxes, "You deserve it." I yawn and nod before drifting off in the safety of his palm.

_____________

Quick Drabble 😉