1.

Aashi's POV

My phone was ringing continuously and I was trying to focus hard on the novel in my hand.

I mute the phone yet again and resume reading. A minute later it rings again and this time I pick up frustrated.

"Kya hai?"

I ask coldly.

"I love you!"

Came a cheeky response knowing very well how much this is going to irritate me.

"I hate you!"

I spat out and disconnected the call.

The phone rang again and I sighed and picked up.

"Ab bas bhi kr na yaar. Maaf krde apni iss naadan dost ko."

Came a dramatic response from my so callled best friend.

"Dia you know what you did! Tune Kushal ko message kr dia that I had a crush on him. You know how embarassing this is."

I said in a whiny tone and she chuckled.

"It was fun. Aur usne bhi seriously nhi lia. He took it lightly. So chill na babe."

I whined again and finally grumbled.

"I hate you!"

"I know you don't. Achha sun na. Ghar aaja!"

Still pretending to be mad I denied.

"Nope! Mai nhi aa rhi. Aaj se hamari dosti khatam."

I heard a chuckle from the other side.

"Nice joke! Iss janam mai tu mujhse chhutkara nhi paa skti. Ab ghar aa. You know what aaj hi bhai ka phone aaya. And guess what? He is coming back home!"

She said excitedly and I stilled blinking and processing what she said.

"No! Agar wo aa rhe hai toh mai bilkul bhi nhi aaungi. You know he scares me."

"Aashi!"

I heard her whine but I was adamant.

"Nope Dia! Not happening. Tujhe pata hai he doesn't like me. Mai bilkul nhi aaungi."

"Arre that was 8 years ago yaar. And we were kids. Ab aisa nhi hoga."

She said and I raised my eyebrow as if she could see me.

"And how do you know? Unki wo gusse wali darawani aankhein toh mujhe jhelni padti hai na. Tujhse toh aaj tak uchi aawaz mai baat tak nhi ki. Aur mujhpr chillate rehte the. Insaan ki itni sundar aankhein aur awaaz ho toh wo achhe se unhe use kre na. Har waqt gussa."

I didn't even realise that I had started ranting until I heard Dia's laughter.

"Oh God Aashi! You sound like a child complaining about something to his mother."

She continued to laugh like a madwoman. She had weird laugh I tell you.

"Dia! Mai nhi aaungi!"

She stopped laughing and said.

"Arre baba wo toh ek hafte baad aa rhe hai. Abhi toh aaja. Uske baad mat aana. Mai aa jaya krungi. Mumma ne brownies banaye hai tere liye."

A wide smile formed on my face.

"Brownies!"

I exclaimed happily getting off my bed hurriedly.

I quickly wear a long shrug over my crop top jeans and rush outside.

"Mumma mai Dia ke yaha jaa rhi hu. Aunty ne browines banaye hai."

I shout for mumma and rush out taking my scooty keys.

Dia's house is half an hour away from mine. Her father is a very big industrialist.

I belong to a the upper middle class and she is the upper class. But that has never been an issue between us.

Our families are very well acquainted and mumma and aunty and papa and uncle are really good friends too thanks to us.

Its only her grumpy brother who is not very amicable. Only to me. He talks fine with mumma and papa.

I reach her home and the guard lets me in knowing very well who I was.

Me and Dia visit each other's houses almost daily.

I ring the bell and the maid opens the door and smiles at me in greeting.

I see aunty sitting in the kitchen taking out freshly baked brownies from the oven.

I hug her from behind and she smiles.

"Mil gyi khabar tujhe!"

"Aapke haath ki brownies mujhse chhup skti hai kya?"

I said and she popped one in my mouth. I moaned as it almost melts into my mouth.

I take two more and kiss her cheek running to Dia's room.

I was having them when I entered Dia's room.

She tried taking the other from my hand but I moved back and she narrowed her eyes at me.

We heard the honking of a car from the entry gate and Dia sprang up with excitement and ran towards the window.

I went behind her with the brownie in my mouth when Dia spoke.

"I think bhai's here!"

I froze midway and looked at her waiting for her to burst out laughing at the stupid joke.

Quickly gulping the brownie I asked.

"You said he is coming ek week baad."

The hurt of betrayal clear in my voice. She smiled sheepishly and said.

"Tu aati nhi na. Isliye chhota sa jooth bola."

She said and ran outside before I could react.

No! I don't want to see him. I still remember our last interaction before he left for UK.

I was 17 and as usual at Dia's house. Her brother was going to the UK in two days and Dia wanted me to help her prepare his favourite besan ladoos for him.

We were just done with the ladoos happy with the outcome. They looked delicious.

Dia went to aunty and started helping her while I started filling them in the box as they cooled down.

I heard a throat clear from behind me and turned to see her brother. He was looking at with that scary gaze.

It made me nervous and squirmish.

"Kya kr rhi ho?"

He asked in his deep heavy voice. His stormy grey eyes looking right at me.

"Wo-umm- aapke liye ladoo bana rhe the mai aur Dia."

And for the first time he did something that surprised me. He smiled. At me. I smiled back and asked him excitedly.

"Aap taste krenge bhai?"

His smile fell and his eyes turned cold again.

"I am Dia's brother. Not yours. Don't ever call me that again."

He stormed off angrily.

That was the last I saw him. And now am going to after 8 years.
**************************************
Please do leave your comments.

Also, please vote for the story.😊🙏🏻

Laters!!😘❤️