1.

Aarushi's POV

I woke up hearing my alarm and drag myself out of bed.

Haa! Break over! Duty calls now!

After getting ready I take my coat and move out of the room.

Papa had already set the breakfast table and I smile hugging him.

"Ready? Chalo naashta kro. I'll pack your tiffin for the lunch. Dinner tum krti nhi. Make sure to eat something the following day alright?"

He says like always and I nod obediently like always.

Why is he asking me to have something the next day?

Well, I am a neonatalogist which are very few in India so I am required to give a full 36 hour shift.

It gets hella tiring but I love my profession. I do get a full 24 hours off the next day which I spend in sleeping mostly.

And then back to work. Being a doctor in India is too tiring.

But the smiled and innocent faces of the little babies shooes my exhaustion away.

I was 15 and was choosing my stream when I knew what I want to do.

I had never seen my mother. She had complications in her pregnancy and died while giving birth to me. Papa often feels her absence but I do not. I can't. I can't miss someone I never had.

For me it has always been papa. He has been my maa, papa, friend amd confidant. Everything.

He often told me how it was difficult for him to handle me alone when I was a new born. He didn't know anything about parenting or handling a baby.

For a few years dadi helped him but after her demise he was again left alone with a 2 year old baby and knew nothing about anything.

Also, I was a child with very low immunity and fell sick really often.

When he told me this I knew that I want to look after those babies and those parents or single parents and give them some relief when their baby is sick.

I can't help them in parenting or nurturing the child but I can make sure he or she is treated well when they are not well.

So my journey to become a neonatalogist started. It was torture. I had to stay up all nights and study. I remember studying 12 hours in one sitting.

But the hard work paid off and here I am. A well known and well established neonatalogist in one of the most famous hospital franchises of India.

Rishi's POV

I was getting ready for the day. I had a very important matter listed in the Delhi High Court.

It was listed for 2 pm and it was 12 pm right now.

I went out taking my coat and greeted my parents.

Mumma served me breakfast and I grinned widely seeing my favorite namkeen sewaiya (vermicelli). She chuckled and shook her head and I started eating it with gutso.

After having my breakfast to my heart fill I got and rushed out taking their blessings.

I just hope I don't get stuck in the traffic. Thankfully I did not.

I was almost near the Court when my phone rang.

"Hanji sir?"

I asked and my client responded.

"Kaha hai aap sir?"

"Pahuch gaya bas. Gaadi laga rha hu. Judge sir aa gye?"

I asked while parking my car.

"Jee sir. Hamara matter 5th number par hai."

He said and I hummed. Wearing my coat and taking the file I moved towards the courtroom.

Our matter was announced and I presented and agrued for my client. The judge heard our pleas and arguments and asked the opposite party to produce sufficient proves or else he would give the decision in our favour in the next hearing.

My client was really happy and we went on lunch at his treat. I denied at first but he was adamant.

I bid him a good day after lunch and started moving to my car.

My phone rang and I picked up seeing Papa's number.

"Kaha hai tu? Free ho gaya?"

He asked and I replied in positive telling him my location.

"Achha sun. Wo jo Karkarduma wali property hai na waha ka kaam ek check kr aa. Mera jaana nhi ho rha."

He said and I agreed and disconnected the call.

I sighed and thought.

"Chalo bhai! Ab Karkarduma jaate hai."

I mumbled and started the car. After checking everything there I was free by almost 8pm.

Now I was damn hungry but the road I was on there were no decent restaurants.

I spotted one of my favourite restaurants and was searching for a parking.

Gosh! Seems like this is everyone's favorite restaurant. So many cars. I finally found a spot but it was near the garbage heap.

I thought for two minutes and finally parked there when my stomach grumbled.

Taking my coat in my hands I moved out of the car and was about to move towards the restaurant when I heard a loud meow of a cat followed by a shrill wail.

I looked around in search for that sound. It sounded like a baby's cry. The cry stopped after a few seconds and I went numb.

Was it-was it coming from the garbage heap? No! No that can't be, right?

I gulped and moved toward the garabage heap with slow steps. My heart beating wildly at the possibility of it and my palms sweating.

I went to the other side of the heap and my heart froze.

It was a baby. A new born. He didn't look more than a month old. Covered in garbage. He wasn't crying now. I was doubtful he was even breathing.

Without wasting another second I picked him in my arms and felt his breath. It was slow but was there.

I wiped his face and carefully placed him in my lap covering him in the coat and drove to the nearest hospital.
**************************************
Please do leave your comments.

Also, please vote for the story.😊🙏🏻

Laters!!😘❤️