the enemy || scenario - reno

anonymous asked: Hello, I have a request! For FFVII Reno, enemies turned lovers but sweet, not smut/lust. Like Reno genuinely falling in love with an enemy

warnings: swearing

I

Avalanche was the enemy. You were the enemy. He hated Avalanche. But why didn't he hate you?

Every time he was called in to deal with the terrorists, you were always there, willingly placing yourself in front of your teammates in order to protect them as they carried out their eco-warrior nonsense. You were so fearless, taking down any Shinra guards trying to stop you with elegantly with terrifying accuracy. Every bullet you took, every scratch you received, you barely let yourself take a moment to recover, launching back and taking down your attacker swiftly.

Every time he saw you get injured he couldn't help but flinch, his heart squeezing strangely, anger settling in his chest. But it wasn't directed at you as you attacked his teammate, it was directed to his teammate, and he couldn't ignore the satisfaction whenever he saw you fling them across the room. When you'd taken out his teammates, it was always just you and him, staring each other down.

"Hey sweetheart, long time no see," he'd drawl as you fought to regain your breath, a hand pressed firmly against your arm where you'd received another bullet wound. He'd put on a facade, fill the roll of the enemy for you, let a lazy, sadistic grin fall onto his face as he strutted slowly towards you, when really all he wanted to do was run over to you and reassure you he'd find someone to help you.

You were the enemy, he reminded himself.

"How many times have I got to tell you? You could always forget all of this 'savin' the planet' bull shit, come with me and we'd live happily ever after." The words sounded so venomous, and they were meant to be. He had to taunt you, get a reaction out of you, it was all a part of the job, all meant to be a lie. But really, the thought of the two of you dropping your lives as there were in Midgar and running away from it all was so utterly appealing.

"Like hell!" you spat out, and his heart clenched painfully. He pursed his lips when he saw you produce a gun from one of the many holsters clipped to the belt around your waist, effortlessly raising his baton to deflect the turret of bullets sent his way. When the final bullet was deflected, he was at your side in a flash, tried to ignore the gasp that escaped your lips and the way your eyes widened as he slammed his baton into the side of your head, your body falling to the floor as you fell unconscious.

He stared down at your unconscious form, heart throbbing painfully, hurling insults at him as his brain attempted to justify it. Avalanche was the enemy, and so were you.

II

"I didn't know you eco-warriors were startin' a stalkin' campaign."

His grip on his baton tightened slightly when you turned around abruptly, gun poised and ready to fire. His shoulders tensed, and suddenly the way he had casually leaned up against the door frame to his apartment seemed dorky and awkward, and he stood up straight. He let your eyes survey him quickly, searching for any possible threat, holding your gaze when you finally brought your gorgeous orbs up to his. He was certain his heart skipped a beat.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"I think I should be the one askin' that question, babe," he shot back, stepping forwards cautiously. You took a step back, and his heart throbbed painfully. "This is my apartment after all. Unless, perhaps you've decided you want to run away together?"