body guard || scenario - reno

anonymous asked: Can I ask for a drabble about Reno getting jealous due to his s/o spending too much time with Rufus? Like his s/o is a soldier and has to act as Rufus' bodyguard?

Reno can't help but seethe at Rufus. You stand poised by Rufus' side, a constant, unchanging shadow ready to protect him at any and all costs. He knows he shouldn't resent his boss so much, or be jealous of the fact that you spend much time with him, because it's your damn job to spend so much time with him. You're his bodyguard, a SOLDIER recruited for the sole purpose of becoming Rufus' bodyguard, an indestructible force. Reno's proud of you, proud that you're able to stand on your own two feet, but sometimes he wishes you weren't a bodyguard.

Rufus is the most eligible bachelor in all of Midgar, and he poses a threat to Reno. He's easily replaceable in his eyes, and why wouldn't you want Rufus? Rufus has a lot more to offer than Reno; more money, power, a title - you could easily work for Rufus for a couple of years, catch his eye and then live the luxurious lifestyle he'd never be able to provide for you.

He tries to not let it show as the two of you head home, but he's unusually silent, worryingly so, and Reno knows that you're suspicious, knows that you know something is wrong. The two of your skirt around it for the rest of the evening, cooking in silence, watching television in silence, getting ready for bed in silence. You aren't tired, you can't be when it's obvious that something is bothering Reno. He usually cocoons himself around you whilst the two of you sleep - his way of protecting the bodyguard - but he's lying on his side, back facing you, and he jerks away violently when you press your fingers lightly against your back.

"What's wrong?"

You're met with a deafening silence, and it's clear that Reno has no intention to break it. He just sighs, but it seems to be more to himself than to you, and he tugs the duvet over him some more, leaving your right side exposed to the chilly night air.

Gnawing at your bottom lip, you turn on your side, shuffling closer to Reno and pressing your head against his back. He doesn't move away or flinch this time, but you hear his breath faintly catch in his throat, and he stiffens slightly, the muscles of his back digging against your forehead painfully. You wrack your mind for some reason as to why he's acting so coldly towards you all of a sudden. You hadn't said anything to him that would upset him, and you're fairly certain you hadn't done anything either. The two of you had barely had time to see each other today, what with all of Rufus' arrangement and Reno's suddenly mountain of paperwork.

You have a lightbulb moment at the thought of Rufus. Reno had expressed his jealousy before, how he hated that you spent so much time with Rufus. You shared his sentiments, wishing the two of you could spend more time with one another whilst at work. The two of you have the luxury of working for the same company (not uncommon in Midgar), and it almost drives you crazy that you can't go up to him and kiss him, to soon whisked away to another meeting. You'd contemplated suggesting to Rufus that Rude take up your position, he was a trained fighter, a valued member of the Turks, but you knew that Rufus couldn't get much better than you - Rude would never live up to the high standard of expectations you have set out.

Pushing yourself up, you lean over Reno and press a kiss to his cheek, lingering there for a moment as you hand winds its way under his arm and down his chest, fingers pressing gently against his stomach. He grunts as you pull away, and flops onto his back, staring up at you expectantly, the arm that traps your hand to his stomach winding its way around you and tugging you closer.

"You don't have to be jealous of him, you know," you whisper. He searches your eyes, the Mako-infused ones he's slowly grown to love, and he wonders how he ever hated them in the first place - he didn't like that it symbolised your commitment to Shinra for eternity, but you'd somehow made them your own, not Shinra's. "He's a pompous ass."

Reno can't help but snort, his other hand settling over yours on his stomach.

There's a pregnant pause, and Reno bites his bottom lip as he turns his gaze to the ceiling, enjoying the feeling of your skin against his. He subconsciously rubs his thumb against the back of your hand, drawing lazy love hearts.

"I love you."

His eyes find yours again, and the love oozing out of the hits him like a tidal wave, and he wonders how he could have ever been jealous of Rufus when he knows you've never looked at anyone the way you look at him. Your Reno.

"I love you too, babe."