time with dad || headcanon - rufus shinra

anonymous asked: Hi! I hope that you're doing well! Can I request a scenario/headcanon of Rufus Shinra babysitting his kid(s) while his S/O is out doing errands or working? Thank you for giving us wonderful scenarios and hradcanons! - 🌟

although rufus tries to be as present in his kids lives as he can, unfortunately his work can take him away from his children for prolonged periods of times, and even when he is in town, he's up at the crack of dawn and back late into the night. his interactions with his children are limited to special events, weekends and early mornings and nighttime when he sneaks into their rooms and kisses them good morning and good night.

and it's safe to say that as a result of his absence, he doesn't have as much control over them as you do. but it's to be expected, you tell him as you prepare to leave, and don't forget that they're excited to be able to spend time with their dad for once. he has to psych himself up for the evening, because although he knows you won't be gone for long, the thought of being alone with his children is incredibly daunting to him. the last time he'd been alone with them was when they were babies, and that was easy because they just slept, but now he has to have one eye over his shoulder and the other in front just in case something happens.

he's surprised to say the least at how quickly his children calm down and cuddle into his side to watch a movie with him. they giggle and chatter quickly among themselves, clearly giddy at finally being able to spend time with their dad, and they sink into his embrace as he holds them close. they're reluctant to let him go when he goes to prepare for dinner, and surprisingly come and help him with the preparations.

they're incredibly well-mannered at the dinner table, and he can't help but remember all the times they'd stained his expensive white suits when they were babies and being fed the mush people tried to pass as baby food. they help him clear up, something he never would have even considered doing as a child, and play a board game with him, giggling when he loses badly. and then of course, it's time for down-time, and they snuggle up to his side again to watch cartoons.

when you finally make it back home, the children are completely passed out, sprawled across their father in ways that you're certain aren't comfortable. rufus is fast asleep too, his body perfectly still to accommodate his children's choice of sleeping positions. when you rouse him, he's careful not to wake them up, and takes them to their respective rooms, whispering his love for them and kissing their foreheads as they snore gently. and he decides he's going to spend more time with them, because he can't miss little miracles like this.