descent to insanity || headcanon - sephiroth

anonymous asked: hi! ive never made a request before so im not sure if im asking in the right place... but i often think of rlly angsty situations where maybe as sephiroth is spiraling into insanity, and reader tries to step in to intervene, but sephiroth accidentally mortally wounds them, and he sorta breaks down. idk do u think you could write smthn ab how that might go?? ty! ur writing is lovely :)

you notice the change in sephiroth almost instantly. the once loving, caring man who only showed his loving side to you is now cold and aloof, perhaps even a little bit cruel towards you. when he looks at you, it's no longer with eyes brimming with love, it's a detachment that sends chills down your spine and makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

but despite those new feelings he invokes in you, you're his partner, and it's your duty to help him through thick and thin. when you inquire into his sudden change of personality, his answers are vague and nihilistic, and it's clear he has discovered something clearly traumatising. but the longer you bide your time, the longer you wait for him to be the one to approach you to talk about it, the more obvious the changes.

he develops a god-like complex, and his silence soon turn into manic rants about how he is the 'chosen one' and how he is above every mortal and every god in this universe. some days he tells you you're inferior to him, whilst on other days he tells you that you should abandon all relationships you have with humans, because you're the partner of a god, you shouldn't have to interact with them.

and that's the final straw for you, and you make the decision to step in, try to pierce through that thick defense he has built up over time. you pester him, beg him to return to normal, because you miss him, you miss your sephiroth, the man you fell in love with. you don't want this sephiroth, the manic man with a desire to end all life on gaia. and he rages at you, mortally wounds you because how dare you burden him with such foolish and naive human emotions.

the shock of what he has done hits him in an instant, and he almost returns to normal, but seeing you in such a state only sends him spiraling deeper into his insanity. he's mortally the wounded the one he has loved most, he doesn't deserve to live, and now neither does anyone else in this world, because he only refrained from destroying it because of you. but now you're clearly dying, and you deserve to rest in peace knowing he'll destroy the evil of the world for you.