cruel twist of fate || headcanon - reno

anonymous asked: Heya! Can I request something for Reno falling in love with Rufus s/o or the other way around? Like how they would handle their feelings while being respectful/professional towards the other and such.

reno had known you for quite a while before rufus took notice of you. the two of you had happened across one another in the corridor at shinra, and shy smiles had quickly changed to full length conversations, and before he knew it you had become one of his best friends. he felt proud when rufus noticed you, but only because you were finally getting the recognition for your work that you rightfully deserved, but his feelings soon change when he notices rufus has more in mind than praising you for his work.

he can't deny that his heart broke into two when you and rufus started getting more involved with one another, and he felt shattered when you told him that the two of you were dating. such a wonderful person, someone he had been intending to make his s/o had slipped through his fingers and fallen straight into the soft palms of his boss. he tries to be supportive, but with every forced smile his heart breaks just a little bit more.

he has to look away whenever the two of you kiss, not because he's being courteous towards you both and respecting your privacy, but because he can't bear watching you kiss him. even though reno can clearly see that the two of you are meant for one another, he can't help but feel utter contempt for rufus. he's angry that rufus snatched you away from him, but that anger always morphs to guilt whenever he sees just how happy you are with rufus.

soon that strong friendship morphs into casual acquaintances, and the knowing, cheeky grins you give one another once more change to polite, professional smiles. before he knows it, you're practically a stranger to him, and that's partly his fault, partly rufus' for securing you a promotion and moving you to your own office on a separate floor. it's easier for him this way, but he still can't seem to get over you, and each professional greeting and polite smile you give him stings him like a hornet.

overall, reno wants you to be happy, so he won't do anything to interfere with your relationship - he's not that kind of guy, he's not a homewrecker. he fears that if he did anything anyway, it might ruin your relationship with rufus, your happiness, because the foundation of your happiness is where rufus stands. but one day he'll let you know that if you ever need a friend, his doors are always open, and perhaps one day he may confess to you. but that engagement ring tells him otherwise.