pregnancy || headcanon - rufus shinra

anonymous asked: could you do rufus with his pregnant s/o?? thank you!!

rufus is thrilled when you tell him you're pregnant, but also extremely scared. his relationship with his father is incredibly toxic, and he's harboured a great hatred for his father, and he certainly doesn't want his relationship with his own child to turn out like that. he doesn't want to turn our like his father, so it will take a lot of encouragement and reassurance on your part to ensure he doesn't worry too much.

but rufus proves he'll be nothing like his father straight away, before the baby is even bigger than an egg. he's incredibly nurturing towards you, willingly doing things for you at your every beck and call. he's constantly sending people to check on you throughout the day (this ramps up in the later stages of your pregnancy), and if he ever has this gut feeling you're vulnerable or hears about the slightest thing going wrong he's by your side in an instant.

he spends a lot of time reading those 'how to be a father' books, picking up little tips and tricks from them. he wants to ensure he can be the best father there ever was, and if it means studying these books into the wee hours of the morning, knowing he'll probably forget it all int he heat of the moment, he'll do it. he hopes to be able to take on half of the responsibility without issue, so that you can actually relax after the birth rather than having to constantly attend to your baby's needs.

when he feels the baby kick for the first time, it's an incredibly emotional moment. he can't quite believe that there's a human life inside of you, a life he has (somewhat) helped nurture and grow. it makes him feels all the more connected with his child, and he flourishes at this new forged bond, and he gains a new level of respect for you, too, fascinated at the prospect of your forming this human whilst carrying on as normal - a power he'll never understand.

holding his child for the first time is surreal, a small, fragile little thing that he loves more than anything he's loved in his entire life. he finally understands what all those books said about being consumed in your love for this life-form, and through his tears silently swears to protect your baby no matter what. he thanks you and tells you he loves you over and over again, and relishes in the role as a family man.