parted hearts || headcanon - cloud

anonymous asked: Ahh i love everything you write!!! Can i request a blurb or something where cloud x reader had gone there separate ways & they had feelings for each other that they both refused to acknowledge for whatever reason but 2 years later they are reunited bc of the events of advent children and cloud wants/ tries to ask the reader to stay?? Please and thank you ❤️❤️❤️❤️

he remembers the day he parted ways with you like it was yesterday. a memory engraved into his mind and burned into his heart. because it was painful, the pain more agonizing that any phsyical wound he has ever received before. the guilt was unbearable, but he truly believed it was the only way to keep you safe, to stop your pain. but he'd seen it clear as day, the heartbreak in your eyes, which you quickly tried to mask with an insincere smile that made the guilt hit him like a tsunami. neither of you had found the courage to speak up that day, and the both of you lived with that regret every single day since.

he can still vividly remember the way you made his heart beat at a mile minute whenever you were near him, the way his breath would catch in his throat and the palms of his hands would grow clammy. and somehow, despite all these years, he feels like that boy you used to make blush with just a smile again. you still make his heart skip a beat, you still make him stumble over his words embarrassingly and you still make his skin tingle whenever you touch him.

cloud almost feels like he can't ask you to stay, because he never stays in one place for long enough, always on the move. but he needs you all of a sudden, needs you like he's never needed anyone before. maybe tifa, denzel, marlene and everyone else couldn't make him stay, but he's fairly certain that if you agreed to stay, then he would too. he can't deny that the reason he's floated in between the bar and the road is mostly due to his deep-rooted desire to find you, and now he has, and he sees no reason to keep away anymore.

he knows he can't keep his feelings inside anymore, he has to express them, abandon his aloof persona and try his best to ignore the shy part of him that's practically screaming at him to not confess. but he knows you're the one for him, and he's assured slightly by the fact that you had shared the same feelings as he did; at least, that's what tifa told him. so he takes the plunge, tells you his feelings are still there and that he wants you to stay, if not for him then for everyone else. he opens his heart, exposes the most vulnerable parts, and braces himself for rejection.

and he's surprised when you press a quick, gentle kiss to his lips. for a moment he has to wonder whether it actually happened, or whether some deluded part of him imagined the display of affection, but from your demure smile he can tell that it was very real. he's elated, although he tries not to let it show too blatantly, and the feelings he has tried to keep subdued for all these years begin to rush back to him, hitting him like tidal waves and striking him dumb. as you reach out your hand and intertwine your fingers with him, cloud knows he has finally found his reason to stay.