panic attack || headcanon - cloud

anonymous asked: I recently went down a rabbit hole and read all your Cloud stuff and I really like it! If your comfortable with this, could you maybe do a headcanon about how Cloud would comfort the reader when they're having a panic attack?

he hates seeing you is such a distressed state, struggling for breath and curling up into a ball in an attempt to protect yourself. he feels completely useless as he watches you struggle, immense guilt surging through him as he frantically wracks his mind for all the tips and tricks he has learned to try and help soothe you and help you breath.

he'll gently talk you through breathing exercises he learned solely for this purpose, and will wait patiently until you've mastered one step before proceeding onto the next. he doesn't want to rush you or to make you feel rushed, and he knows patience is key for this.

once you've regained your breath, he'll gently coax you out of your little bowl, encouraging you to relax and release the tension of in your shoulders in order to help you calm down faster. if you restrict your airways whilst curled up in a ball, you may struggle for breath again, and he doesn't want that to happen.

he'll be immensely reassuring, soothing you with sweet words and promises that he won't let anyone hurt you. the likelihood is that he'll have cleared the room the moment he realises you're having a panic attack, so that there's no added stress to the situation.

when you've finally calmed down enough and he knows he has your permission, he'll move over to you and hold you close, rubbing soothing circles in your back to calm you down some more. he'll sit there on the floor with you for as long as you need him to, and he'll brush away the tears too, press a gentle kiss on your nose. he's there for you, and he wants you to know that.