ch45 friend or foe?

they spent their time leisurely hopping from shop to shop and their bags quickly piled up.

"hmm its getting late we should start heading back now"

"alright, is there anything else you're missing ayame san?"

ayame looked at senjuro dead in the eye as if she was examining him, while senjuro looked up at her from under the wagasa with a sweat droplet tracing the side of his face.

"you know senjuro"

"hai?"

"you don't need to address me so formally, you can just call me ayame like kyojuro does or whatever you like"

senjuro let out a sigh as his shoulder fell down, he had originally thought something serious had happened but it was good to know it wasn't.

"then is it ok if i call you nee-san?"

he nervously asked avoiding her gaze, while ayame's eyes perked up in surprise at him saying nee-san. it was a name she hadn't heard for a long time and it was something she didn't dislike.

"it's ok if you aren't comfortable its just since you're close with ani-ue and you'll be living with us now i just thought..."

"sure"

senjuro looked up at ayame as she smiled kindly with a breathy chuckle.

"it'll be nice since i only had two younger sisters i don't mind having a younger brother as cute as you"

senjuro's cheeks were tainted red as he smiled back.

"thank you nee-san"

"ah right before we leave i need to get something as a medium for my Kekijutsu, since I'll be working as a demon slayer now oyakata sama will need it"

"then lets drop by the shop around the corner they sell accessories and trinkets"

"good idea"

she nodded as they headed over, they took their time looking around to find something that would be suitable for ubuyashiki, but since they didn't know him well enough or what he likes or dislikes they settled on a pin.

after they finished with their purchase they headed back to the rengoku estate as nighttime neared ayame had to prepare for the meeting.

at the corps headquarter

it was dark with only the lanterns held by the ubuyashiki children to illuminate their surroundings, it was the first time they had a meeting at the dead of night outside causing everyone except for kyojuro and shinobu to be suspicious.

"i wonder what the meeting is about, its unusual for us to have one at night since we usually have mission"

One of the fast approaching pillars said.