Ch98 rr

"HEY RENGOKU!"

Lifting his head up kyojuro saw tengen at the other side of the gate at his estate, and with a blink of his tired eyes he was already standing right before him.

"Gah! You sure look horrible"

"Uzui! I didn't know you were visiting"

He replied still taken aback at his sudden closed distance.

"Well of course! How bland of a surprise would it be if you knew someone as flamboyant as I would be coming, well enough about me, the little Rengoku told me about what happened, and seeing how worn out you are I guess it's true"

Taking in the consideration of his alarming speed and the fact he was the fastest runner amongst the hashira, an idea struck him.

"Say uzui! Do you mind training me to become faster?"

Uzui hummed with a blinking expression, he placed a hand on his chin as he examined Kyojuro's determined face.

"Sure I don't mind it won't be easy training under someone as flamboyant as I, but why the sudden request? Are you not already fast enough?"

"If I were I would not have lost her that day..."

His tone was dejected shocking Uzui as he gasped, "I just hit a nerve didn't I" he thought. Awkwardly laughing he walked behind kyojuro and began pushing him by the shoulders towards who knows where.

"Ahaha well let's get to training then! I'll make sure you're faster than light itself by the end"

After making such a statement tengen felt obligated to do so and succeed, even if it was the last thing he ever did. Tengen never expected that after so long of being away and not seeing Rengoku, the first thing he would do with him was train despite no longer needing to do so as he has retired.

*****

After a week of long intense training sessions with tengen, both kyojuro and tengen flopped down on the engawa of his estate drenched in sweat.

"Yeesh if I had known I would be training you for this long I would've told my wives to come along and help"

Said tengen with his head hung back, pulling apart his yukata to cool down he looked down beside him where kyojuro sat catching his breath.

"So I heard you flamboyantly tied the knot with that ayame girl while I was gone"

"Yes, she was hesitant when I asked her to marry me but she eventually agreed, it seems she might've expected this to happen since the beginning"

He smiled sullenly, taking the thumb of his right hand he gently twisted the engagement ring on his left hand.

"you'd figure, if I was her I would've hesitated too, being a demon while having to hide from a crazy bastard is one thing, but she may have not wanted to get married so you wouldn't be tied down to her if something happened"

"Perhaps, but I didn't mind I just wanted to be with her, and I still do, I'll keep on looking for her even if it costs me my whole life, no matter where she is I'll always be waiting"

Looking at kyojuro tengen couldn't help but sigh at the grieving love bird, he had never expected this outcome having to watch his bright and righteous friend walk down such a painful path.

"So then? Do you have any leads, I can try to find something on my end after all I'm not a shinobi for nothing, but what will you do once you find her? I doubt iguro or sanemi would just sit still"

"I'll try to reason with them! And if that doesn't work I'll protect Aya from them"

"Well good luck with that, it won't be a pretty sight that's for sure"

Tengen laughed wrapped his arm around Kyojuro's shoulder.

"Caww en bashira kyojuro!! Private meeting at the ubuyashiki estate for a special task"

the crow screamed, announcing the news it brought for everyone in the estate to hear followed by the sound of sliding shoji from behind, turning their heads to see who it was they saw Senjuro standing with a hand on the wooden frame.

"Ah ani-ue"

"Hmu, I should probably get going then!"

Unfolding his arms from his chest, he stood up from the engawa with tengen following suit.

"I will visit again some other time then, it's about time I headed back I'm sure my wives miss my flamboyance greatly"

He boasted as he saw himself out.

"Ani-ue be careful, your wounds from last time still haven't fully healed yet"

Senjuro worriedly said with his gaze lowered, he hesitantly handed kyojuro his katana and haori wishing he didn't need to go. Kyojuro smiled, kneeling down on a knee he held the side of Senjuro's arms.

"Right! I'll try my best to be careful, after all I wouldn't want to be nagged by Aya when I find her!"

Senjuro's head shot up with wide eyes, facing his brother he saw the light in his eyes start to flicker again. After a long year he was finally able to see his old enthusiastic brother start to come back, and that alone gave him hope.

"Yes!"

He nodded. he waved him off by the gate of their estate, watching as Kyojuro's figure became smaller and smaller in the distance until eventually disappearing.