Ch89 rr edit

Accompanied kyojuro on mission sit on tree have playful time kinda

It was late afternoon of the very next day, with the sounds of light rain outside acting as a natural alarm for the slumbering flame. Breaking out of his blank dreams, his body slowly became aware of the world around him, as well as the gentle familiar figure he was embracing. His head laid just barely on ayame's thigh covered by a smooth cloth, and his arm wrapped tightly around her waist as if he were capturing a beast.

Even in his sleep kyojuro always found himself reaching towards ayame whenever she was near, trapping her in his arms

Even in his sleep kyojuro always found himself reaching towards ayame whenever she was near, trapping her in his arms. Ayame always knew the exact moment he was awake, with the slight tense of his muscles and farrowing of his brows the lifting of his eyes would soon follow.

"Did you have a nice dream, my love?"

Ayame cooed, setting down her book by her side while brushing away the stray strands of hair on Kyojuro's face. He responded in kind grabbing hers that sat by his head and giving it a peck, and a seductive look in his eyes he grinned.

"Indeed I did, I dreamt that I married you. So what do you say Aya? Will you marry me?"

Ayame sighed with a chuckle, astonished at the first thing he had to say after waking up and with the look he gave her she nearly caved.

"Still in a hurry to tie the knot huh? But unfortunately for you"

Before Ayame finished her sentence, she gave Kyojuro's forehead a quick flick and a smile followed by a gentle kiss to soothe his pain.

"You're going to have to wait a little while longer"

Kyojuro was quick to pout burying his face in ayame's side.

"And exactly how long is considered a little?"

"A little in demon years"

"So when I'm one foot in the grave?"

Ayame let out a hearty laugh, enough to almost let a tear escape the corner of her eye though kyojuro didn't share the same feeling.

"Oh kyojuro, im sure I won't make you wait that long. But even still I'll still love you when you're old and cranky"

Feeling better from yet another rejection, kyojuro finally found the strength to get up from his futon and start getting ready for his patrol. Putting on the same uniform with the same flame haori filled with tales of generations, all that was left to fill his empty stomach before departing.

Walking in the dining room he saw both Senjuro and Ayame already there, placing trays of delicate dishes including the fish they had caught the day before.

"Ani-ue come and eat, we made extra today so don't hold back"

Senjuro called followed by a loving smile from Ayame as she turned to face him with a hefty bowl of rice in hand. Since she would not be eating she took it upon herself to do the refilling while the two ate in order not to feel awkward. She wore one of her favourite kimonos that kyojuro had gifted her, simple and comfortable ayame's preferred style compared to overly extravagant clothing that she often wore while living with Douma.

 She wore one of her favourite kimonos that kyojuro had gifted her, simple and comfortable ayame's preferred style compared to overly extravagant clothing that she often wore while living with Douma

Accompanied with her dark hair tied to the side and a kappougi, it made her seem like a maternal figure that they had long lost.

"So where will we be heading today?"

Ayame asked while handing kyojuro the bowl of rice as he sat to eat.

"I'm hoping to be able to make a round through the whole section I'm watching over before the sun comes up! The sooner we receive news of a demon the more casualties we can prevent!"

"I know that territories are split amongst the hashiras, but isn't that still quite a large area to cover in one night? Even with the two of us it seems barely possible, which makes me wonder how you all do it"

With eyes of worry and awe Ayame waited for a response along with Senjuro who was also just as curious.

" being a pillar comes with a lot of responsibilities! We all manage one way or another, I personally prefer to cover as much ground as possible in one night when there's news of a demon sighting, the others might differ from me!"

Scarfing down his food with a smile, he was able to quickly finish in no time at all. Thanking Senjuro for cooking as always he got up to prepare to depart just as the sun began to set while Ayame cleaned up his dishes. They reunited by the genkan to review their plan for the night, and once they picked a area to go first kyojuro wrapped his arm around ayame's waist.

"We'll be off then Senjuro"

Ayame called moments prior to disappearing. They arrived at an open field, a short distance away from small village and also a place kyojuro had seen demon sightings before. The winds were strong and the fields eerily quiet despite it being barely 20 minutes past sunset.

"What do you think Aya?"

Kyojuro asked tilting his head over down towards her while staring ahead. Tuning into her enhanced senses she listened for any sounds far into the distance like a predator, every roll of a pebble, the flapping of a bird, or even the sound of rustling grass didn't escape her, and just barely in her range she could hear the slow tired shuffles of footsteps like that of an emaciated injured man .

"I guess we might've been lucky to have chosen this spot first"

Ayame said in a slightly confused and urgent tone. It was indeed lucky for them to get to them as fast as they did if it were the case of a demon, but also unlucky for there to be one at all.

"We better hurry then!"

Kyojuro yelled while already being on the move. It wasn't before long before they met up with the source of the footsteps, a man in his late 30s sat by the edge of the road pitchfork in hand and sweating. Ayame slightly changed her appearance before coming in contact in order to not stable the already troubled man.

"Are you alright? Did something happen?"

Ayame called out in a worried tone standing before the man along with kyojuro and his intense gaze examining for injuries. The man looked up towards them sweat dripping from his brow, and his eyes slightly lit up with a hint of anticipation.

"Oh! Rengoku dono! Thank the gods you're here"

The man grabbed ahold of Kyojuro's arms desperately while catching his breath just barely managing to spit out a grave message.

"The kids... they've been kidnapped!"