Ch64 good as new

She layed on the floor of her room with heir long hair spread around her like a blanket, rubbing the end of her hair between her fingers where the deep red colour she so hated stained

She layed on the floor of her room with heir long hair spread around her like a blanket, rubbing the end of her hair between her fingers where the deep red colour she so hated stained. She had tried to cut it off when she first acquire this feature that reminded her unsettling memories that stained into her head like the colour did, but only for it grow back on the ends of her shorter hair.

So instead she grew it out long enough for it to not show in her face when the wind blew, long enough for her to completely cover it within an updo which she had always done until she met douma, whom had a hobby of brushing hair on the skulls of the dead only for him to do it with her hair.

"Nee-san? Are you awake?"

"Yes, do you need help with something senjuro?"

She supported herself up with an arm looking towards the closed fusama, because her room was always dark she hadn't noticed it was already morning and that everyone had woke up.

The fusama slid open with senjuro peeking out from the slide with a smile, he looked to the side where he saw the dent in the floor yesterday noticing it to be covered with a lamp.

"I will be heading out to run some errands, do you think you can cook up a meal for kyojuro and bring it to him?"

"I don't mind but do you trust me enough to do it myself? my skills are pretty out dated and I've only ever helped you prepare"

"I'm sure you can do it well nee san, I'll get going then"

"Alright be safe"

Twirling her hair up into a bun she kept it in place with a simple kanzashi, she got up and immediately headed towards the kitchen to prepare

Tapping her chin she thought about what to make for kyojuro that she could manage herself, looking into the pantry she checked their supplies. "Ah I can make some salt grilled beam, I remember kyojuro once said he liked it, since he eats a lot I'll accompany it with some sweet potato tempura".

She decided on her dish grabbing the kappogi hanging by the wall she wore it and tied a knot behind her back and began to work. Taking a few sweet potato's and a fish ayame set it in the sink to wash them, taking a knife she started to descale the fish when someone decided to pay a visit.

Shinjuro who was passing by noticed ayame cooking by herself without senjuro who usually was there with her.

"Where's senjuro?"

He asked leaning by the door, ayame turned to face him without stopping her hands.

"Ah Shinjuro san, He went outside to run some errands he should be back in a bit, I'm preparing some food to bring for kyojuro would you like some?"

She turned her attention back at her hands rinsing the fish under the water.

"Aren't you a demon, why are you helping the corps? And going as far as saving the hunters thats quite a dumb move, you could get yourself killed by anyone even me without knowing with that trusting nature pathetic, if you keep sticking beside that boy you're only going to end up hurting him and yourself in the end, you can't possibly think you'll live a good life with how things are do you"

"Is that a threat? I agree that as a demon joining the corps is risky even unheard of, but if it means I can help even a little bit I'm willing to risk this life of mine that I should've lost long ago, and it's because I came to trust your son and his bright outlook on life that I'm able to do something as simple as cooking like a human, so until he no longer wants me around I'll continue to help him, I do not expect my life to be a good one nor my death so I'll treasure every second of my time I have left and if possible I'd like him to be the one to kill me when things finally come to an end"

Ayame said with a small smile putting down the knife after finishing with the cutting, she showed him a closed eye smile continuing with the next step as Shinjuro watched with his never ending frown as if he was inspecting her.

Without realizing her words slowly made him start to accept her existence, hearing this girl acknowledge her unfortunate circumstances and effortlessly declaring her guaranteed death saying she would treasure her little bit of time reminded him of his dying wife.

"Despite your temper kyojuro still cares for you, so I would advise you cut off from the alcohol and take care of your health to save him the grief of you dying from alcohol poisoning"

"Hey yo-"

Before he could go off at her words she handed him a plate of her freshly cooked fish and tempura.

"I'll be heading off now"

She said passing him while taking off her kappogi hanging it, she grabbed the large bento and walked towards the genkan, Shinjuro looked down at his plate of steaming food taking a bite of the tempura.

"It's good"

********

She arrived by kyojuro's room with a veil draped over her making her face barely visible, she lifted up the cloth slightly to widen her vision as she entered noticing shinobu sitting by him while changing the bandage on his arm.

"Ara Ara ayame san good morning"

"Good morning ayame!"

"Good morning shinobu san kyojuro , I've brought your breakfast in place of senjuro since he's out on some errands at the moment"

She said lifting up the picknick sized bento that she was holding by her side.

" I see It is about time for breakfast, I'll close the blinds for you when I leave, I just need to finish with this last bandage"

"Thank you shinobu san please take your time"

After tying the last not shinobu packed up her equipment shutting the blinds on her way out as she smiled at ayame, she approached kyojuro who was excitedly sitting on his bed with his eyes fixated on ayame as she sat beside him.