Ch93 rr

"Sorry young lady, I am ujitoshi and the girl here is my granddaughter ukita machi"

The two of them bowed greeting the two, once they straighten themselves once again they wore an expression of relief.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, I'm akami Aya, and this is my fiancé Rengoku kyojuro"

"Hello!"

Kyojuro introduced himself loudly as usual and proudly, hearing ayame call him her fiancé brought him great happiness even though it was already a known fact, hearing her admit it was even better.

"If you don't mind me asking ukita san, how come your family came to taking care of this shrine?"

"Ah You see there's a story passed down in our family, our ancestor ukita sadakage was in love with this shrines miko akami ayame at the time, but he was never able to confess his love in time, the family had been attacked by something one day and the akami sisters including the miko weren't anywhere to be seen, so our ancestor had hope and took up the responsibility and cared for the shrine in hopes that one day they would return, but after decades the recent generations didn't have much hope, but seeing you here now just proves all our efforts wasn't in vain, it truly is an honour Akami san"

Ayame shook her head slowly from side to side, smiling she layered her hands over her lower stomach respectfully bowing towards the man and woman.

"No, the honour is all mine, I am truly thankful for the ukita family for keeping this shrine safe, it is regrettable that I hadn't come here sooner, but before anything else do you perhaps know where the grave of my "ancestors" are perhaps?"

"Ah yes, of course follow me please"

Ayame and kyojuro glanced towards each other and back at the man in front, he led them towards the back of the house where a small path appeared leading towards a huge flowering tree in the distance.

The walk was silent, not a single sound of a person to be heard except for the slow sounds of footfalls. The closer they got the more details of the distant surroundings became, under the tree planted four stone tablets accompanied by the protection of crimson spider lilies.

" the grave of the akami ancestors is over there, everyone except the miko's is present, even after generations strangely no one was able to find the miko's grave"

"...that's... unfortunate"

Ayame softly said with a small smile and slanted brows, knowing the reason fully well as she was the last miko they mentioned, akami ayame still standing alive unfortunately.

"Yes that is quite so, I'll give you two some privacy if there is anything you need feel free to call one of us"

Ujitoshi and machi returned to the shrine leaving just ayame and kyojuro by themselves, climbing up the hill they knelt before the tombstones. Clapping their hands together with shut eyes they payed their respects.

"I'm sorry, sorry for returning so late that day, for leaving, for failing to be a good onee san and daughter that could protect you, sorry... for coming back so late, okaasan otousan kiyo kana"

"And I'm sorry for being alive after everything I've done" she thought with tears streaming down her face, watering the earth below her.

A breeze blew towards them bringing along the whispers of those above.

"Welcome home, ayame"

She felt a familiar touch press upon her back, causing her eyes to shoot open as she flinched back to look behind her.

"Aya?"

Kyojuro questioned with a raised brow.

"It's... nothing, i thought I heard something"

She said as her shoulders slowly dropped, wondering if it was simply the feeling of the passing wind and if it was all just her imagination. Words poured out of ayame like a broken dam, telling her family everything good that had happened and soon the time for them to leave almost arrived.

"Kyojuro?"

Ayame called turning around after beginning to walk back down the hill as kyojuro stayed by the grave.

"You go on first, I would like to say a few more words to your parents"

Ayame broke a smile nodding with a small hum, she descended the hill first leaving kyojuro alone.

"Hello, ayame's family, it's a pleasure to finally meet you, she is wonderful woman and I love her with all my heart, I hope you will give me your blessings to have your daughter and I promise to protect her with my life for as long as I live, so please be at ease! And continue to watch over her"

He proudly smiled towards the cloudy sky as he spoke, preparing to leave he looked back down and raised himself up. Just as he was about to straighten himself he heard the whisper of a woman.

"Thank you, please make that child happy in our place"

He looked up with wide eyes and there a vision of them stood, disappearing along with the wind kyojuro stood up tall and  confidently.

"Yes!"

He answers heading down the hill where ayame waited, embracing her from behind he gave her a kiss on the cheek with a chuckle.

"Did i take too long?"

"No, what did you tell them?"

"Just how much I love you"

Ayame avoided his gaze as her ears burned bright red, shining through her strands of hair.

"Idiot"

Kyojuro noticed and chuckled an alluring laugh, he tightened his grip around her and they stayed within each others touch for a moment that felt like an eternity.

They met back up with the ukitas at the front.

"Thank you for showing us the way, and as the last head of the akami family, I offer you my gratitude for taking care of this shrine, unfortunately I am unable to stay here so I will leave the jurisdiction of this shrine to the ukitas now, rebuild it, destroy it, or simply leave it you may do whatever you please"

Ayame said bowing 90 degrees, knowing that her home is still standing was enough but with how things are she couldn't take it back. Thus she came to the decision to leave it to the family whom had taken care of it all these years, they had more right to the shrine than her whom had left it.

"What are you saying Akami san? We can't possibly do that...you're here now aren't you? I'm not sure what is preventing you from taking back to what is rightfully yours, but if it makes things better we will continue to keep it alive until the day you can come back"

Ujikata said with a smile patting ayame's hand in his, ayame sighed with a nod and accepted his offer. With one look behind her she intakes the view before beginning to leave, they headed down the stairs far enough to make sure they were out of sight.

"Aya... what did you mean by the last head of the akami family?"

"That's because I am, we don't have any other family members, and my sisters were never able to leave behind offspring to continue the bloodline, and once I die the akami name will disappear along with me"

"Don't say something so sad"

Ayame turned to see kyojuro stand there with a pained face, she didn't realize her words would hurt him so since she thought it was simply a fact.

"Sorry kyojuro, let's go back now shall we?"

Holding up a hand she cupped his cheek as he pressed his hand against hers, they disappeared.