Chapter 11: Clone

Meredith POV

I needed to figure out how to get the keys from the guard so I could make a copy. He wore them around his belt and I wasn't exactly sure how to get him to remove them. My time was running out though.

My son gave the order for our attack first thing tomorrow and if we couldn't get in the dungeon then the attack would be for nothing. Sure, we would get more intel on our enemies defenses, but all I really wanted was my daughter back.

My husband and eldest son died years ago, making my sweet boy, Ryker, the oldest Alpha and our next leader. He was strong, but he wasn't born for this. He was once carefree, a wise ass jokester, always getting into trouble with Chris. I swear my eldest boy and husband were exhausted chasing after them.

It was Ryker's decision if we would fight for all wolves, but as the years went on I couldn't bring myself to care as much as I use to. I watched my family become ripped about. My sons and daughters were stripped of their innocence, denied a proper childhood, and now we were on a mission that would probably get us all killed.

All I wanted was for my children to be free and myself reunited with my husband. I didn't care who I had to kill or how we got the power. I wasn't always this way, but when a wolf loses their mate, their soul begins to fade away. My children were what kept my light on in my heart and I wasn't going to lose any more of them.

I followed the guard to the kitchens and lit up watching him place a kiss on one of the maids cheeks. She greeted him as husband and I knew who I needed to become to get those keys.

Elena and one of the servants went running by us, causing the maid to sigh in annoyance. How strange  the future Queen's behavior was. She was days away from 18, yet carrying on like a child while obviously friending one of her servants.

I didn't believe in servants and frowned upon their treatment I've seen them receive in this household. Especially, the treatment given by the Trio families and that disgusting Alpha Tyler.

Everyone had their place within our kind. Werewolves were born into Alpha, beta, and omega status, but forced servitude was unnecessary and inhuman to any species.

The maid kissed her husband bye saying she needed to make sure no one loses their head today. I wasn't sure if I should follow the maid or the guard, but I decided to see what the wife was up to, and who she feared was asking for a beheading.

As I crept in the princess' bedroom I could feel Elena's eyes on me. It was impossible for any other creature then my own to sense me so I wasn't sure what to think. Elena's focus went to the servant girl and maid so I chalked it up to paranoia.

I was shocked listening to the girls speak so candidly while the older woman scolded them like a mother would a child. This was not proper for royalty, let alone what the Red Moon pack portrayed as the way they held themselves. I expected Elena to be snobby and self absorbed. I figured the future queen look down on her servants and treated them as cruelly as her mother, but that was not at all what was happening.

When Helena kissed her forehead I was frozen. This was a child begging for attention, not some savage beast. As Helena left the room I forgot to follow. Something inside me wanted to know more about Elena. A part of me even wanted to protect her.

When the conversation turned to Tyler and this supposed Devil, I was appalled. I've seen the girls Tyler kept in secret. He was a spoiled little boy with too much power, exerting his authority to any pretty face. How could Elena be so stupid to trust him, or make him King? Once I heard my son's name I nearly lost my breath.

Did the princess have a crush on my son? Oh how that could be useful for us. Ryker was a handsome man with a devilish smile. He could persuade any to melt under him, but he rarely ever entertained women.

For a second I felt guilty about the thought of using the princess, but I shook it off. We needed to remove the Trio and restore balance. That little girl's life was not worth thousands.

I left shortly after the girls to find Helena. I needed to hid the maid somewhere so I could take on her form, then find a way to get those keys before the day was over.

I found Helena in the kitchen and waited for the right opportunity. I needed to get her alone, but every time I turned around some other little servant needed help with something. I knew I couldn't take this body too long or I would get recognized. Not only didn't I know the castle like Helena did, but I didn't have her patience.

After an hour gone by she was finally alone and I made my move. I lured her into the storage room reciting a few words to put her into a deep sleep, then dragged her body to the passage way that I found the other day. I began spreading mimic leaves over her body to start the transfer process.

In order to take someone's form the body needed 30 mins covered in these purple and red leaves then sprinkled with oak dust. The leaves would transfer the form and the dust would take part of their memories.

Waiting for my victim to ferment I sent a mind-link to my sons.

'I found the body I needed. The guardsman's wife is currently sedated.'

'Good job. Let me know the second the keys are secured. We need to find a way to meet tonight to go over the final attack plans.' Ryker responded.

'We got most the parameter checked out, just waiting on Ryan's unit and Derek's unit to return.' Chris added.

'Why would you send Derek's unit out there. You know he challenges me every second he can. He already has half the Rogues doubting my intentions.'

'You have the power to tear him to shreds. Let him step out of line and he will see how foolish his words are. Besides, his unit is of strong wolves. They might be a bit rough, but they are cunning as hell. We can use them tomorrow too.' Chris said.

'No, I don't want him here tomorrow. He will turn this into a blood bath. It's bad enough he is lurking the grounds. At least the king put everyone on hire alert to stay out of woods.'

'Wait what? I saw the future queen sneak out with her friends earlier. She was hiding a bathing suit under her dress, so I'm sure they are headed to the lake.' I chimed in.

'That stupid girl. Chris find both units! I'll head to the lake. Mom get those keys.' Ryker cut the link off. I was concerned what had my son so rattled, but he was a powerful Alpha that could handle himself.