Ch. 35 - Golden Eye Beta

Damien POV

I stared at Chris going completely feral on my ass. He liked to dish it out, but couldn't take himself. His eyes swirled black with salvia dripping from his fangs that were only inches from my face.

Then gold began peaking through, until these thin ribbons swirled around, pushing to take over. I've never seen a wolf with any color in their wolf eyes before, only black. I didn't know what gold meant, but I knew what I originally thought was true. There was something different about this family.

Chris growled low, but lethal, as his face inched closer to mine, heading straight for my neck. One quick movement and he could easily rip out my throat. Both of us began pouring out our aura's, trying to dominate the other into submission. Alpha to Alpha wasn't biding well in my favor. For a Beta he was fucking strong.

Then the door shot open and Nate came barreling in bum rushing Chris off me. They went full beast on each other, tearing at each other's clothes as claws rip through their skin.

I laid on the floor for a moment in shock at what just happened. Then it dawned on him. Chris didn't want to kill me. I jumped up and threw myself between them before Chris did kill my brother. I knew Nate was stronger than he appeared, but so was Chris.

"Enough!" My voice boomed out from my chest, making both Nate submit and Chris squirm with my compulsion. My lips curled up watching Chris fight my aura. I knew his secret now, one I bet he didn't. I liked to play games too.

Chris didn't like the way I was staring at him. He felt like I read his mind and he had nowhere to hide. He relaxed his body and let the aura flow through him.

He was using too much energy trying to fight me. I was more powerful than him, not by much, but still stronger. He was a fucking terror that could hold his own, but now I had the upper hand.

"Fuck you! I came here to help, but figure it out yourself then." Chris turned to walk out the second I dropped my compulsion.

"Chris, clean yourself up and meet me at the training arena in one hour. Someone with your kind of power can be very useful to me." I smirked, never taking my eyes off him.

I could feel the unease that rattled through his body and it was making me want to push more. He didn't know what I was thinking, but he knew it was nothing good.

Chris turned around and headed out the door, slamming it behind him without a word.

"What the fuck was that all about?" Nate asked in shock with a half broken face, ripped shirt, and torn jeans from the all out battle he just had with Chris.

"That was just Chris' way of saying he doesn't want us to get killed. No worries, I have it handled brother."

"Are you disillusion? Someone doesn't try to keep you from getting killed by killing you!" Nate was in a fit of rage and he couldn't believe how nonchalant I was acting after nearly getting my throat ripped out.

"I said it's fine. I misread his intentions, that's all."

"If you read he wanted to kill you, trust me brother, you weren't wrong."

"I said it's fine, now leave." I ordered, letting my Alpha aura slip. "Shit! Sorry, Nate. Just trust me, ok. I have some research to do, but I think the Night Shade pack just might have something special we can use."

"I trust you, but I will never trust that arrogant piece of shit after attacking you like that. I don't want him on our territory."

"When you're the Alpha you can make that decision. Now go before I make you." I sat at my desk flipping through contracts trying to calm my nerves.

I didn't mind my brother ordering me around, even though I was the actual Alpha, but I didn't like repeating himself. I wasn't some little boy anymore and I could make my own decisions for our pack.

After Nate huffed his way out of my office I leaned back in my chair and smiled. I remembered where I saw wolves with color in their eyes before. I walked to the bookshelves cursing our father for insisting to train instead of studying.

No one really had that much knowledge of our history other then how the three families rose to power. So much was lost to us and I didn't want it to be our downfall.

After flipping through half the book I found the section I was looking for; The Meaning of Color in Wolves Eyes. I swear I saw gold in Chris's eyes and I skimmed over the chapters until I found the word gold or yellow. There were apparently many different kinds of rare wolves that use to exist.

"Ah, here it is. Wolves of golden irises are those with great powers to protect. Shadows are powerful midnight wolves. They were created to be assassins for the moon goddess to eliminate any strong powers that threatened their kind."

But Chris's wolf is brown with white spots. The next section read wolves of golden iris with brown or red coats are gifted with strength and powerful auras to help defend those who are under tyranny. Chris couldn't be a shadow unless he had a black wolf, but he did have golden eyes and a brown wolf.

I knew it! He was here to protect us. Shit! That means Ryker is here to protect Elena. That's why he is always so close to her, but doesn't go after her. She is a beautiful princess with a strong Luna aura. I know the pull to her is strong for any wolf. One as powerful as Ryker must find it nearly impossible to resist her, yet he does.

I thought over the entire situation, trying to piece it all together. Something still seemed to be missing though.

I'll let him stay, but forgive me goddess I'm not going to make it easy on him. Oh, I can see how he wants to break all our little necks, but he physically can't harm us, especially me. Alright golden eye Beta, let's see how far I can push you.

I slammed the book returning it to the bookshelf. I thought of all the ways I could get under Chris' skin. Every since the first day we met he has been dismissive, acting almighty to me and my friends. Now the tables have turned. In truth, Chris is nothing but my glorified bodyguard, and I very much wanted to see him in action. This was going to be fun. I smiled to myself leaning back in my chair.