Ch. 37 - Salvation

Elena POV

"Come on El, you're not even trying. You sent blades of fire through 10 Rogues in one shot. You can do better then this." Serenity reprimanded me as I weakly called fire.

We've been practicing for over an hour and I was all over the place with all my elements. Between the battle the other day, the shameful breakfast with my father, and now the impeding birthday that determined if I would spend the rest of my life with Tyler or not, was making everything inside me uneasy.

After Tyler dragged me from the breakfast table he slammed me into a wall, then started yelling at me. I could see it in his eyes that he wanted to hurt me too. My whole life I made excuses for my parents and Tyler, but now I knew the truth.

He didn't love me, he wanted me to make him King. He spoke vile words, worse than even my father spoke before. All I could do was cry. How could this be my life? How could the moon goddess make him my fated mate?

I ran from him, wanting to leave everything, but I knew I couldn't. Even if I had somewhere to go, my father is King. He would find me and drag me back.

I cried in my room until Serenity came to get me for training. I thought about refusing, then figured it was probably a good way to let my anger out. My future I couldn't control, but for some reason magic I could.

Once we got to the field I was unable to focus. Every time I used my magic it sizzled out and took a piece of me with it. I was tired, confused, and now a sweaty mess.

Ryker POV

I watched Elena from the distance, worried that she would hurt herself or push too far. Magic was about balance and control. If she lost either it would turn on her, and if she used too much it could drain her.

Elena held out her hand to call fire again, but only sparks flickered. She knelt to a bucket of water to bring up a small tornado of water, but it splashed in her face. She stood up stomping her feet in frustration and fire erupted at her shoes. Serenity quickly poured the water on her navy Capri leggings that she accidentally lit on fire.

"Elena, you need to rest. You know I'm all for pushing yourself, but not like this."

"I can do it. You just saw me call fire right. I just need to focus better."

"Well, I just saw you call fire to you pants, but sure. Come on El, let's take a break."

"No, I need to train." Elena held her hand out determined to bring forth a fireball. Serenity shoved her arm down and gave her an angry expression.

"El, you need to stop. I don't think fire comes from anger. If it did then you wouldn't be lighting yourself on fire. Take a breather and relax." Serenity began breathing deeply in through her nose and out her mouth.

Elena copied her breathes and closed her eyes. She knew fire came from passion. I taught her that already. Why was she using her anger to call it when I told her it would drain her too fast. She was being a brat.

"Good El. Keep taking deep breathes. Think what flowed through you at the gym that day. It wasn't anger. Search inside yourself and only when you are sure, try again." Serenity released her arm and stepped away from her.

Elena continue her deep breathes and I saw her finally concentrating. I was picturing that day now too. I slowly approached her from behind, my hand around her waist, her body against mine.

A smile slowly crept on her face and I knew she was remembering too. Then my mind wandered to Lake the first night we met. The way my hand grip her thigh tight, checking her almost healed wound. My body was full of concern, then relief washed over me that she was ok.