Chapter 98 Expansion

Not long after the second batch of white sweet potatoes was planted, the wheat and rice planted by Wu Nuo entered the harvest period. The first time he planted, he usually left it to the slaves to help him take care of it. Everyone had no experience in planting, and the yield of wheat per mu was only more than 70 catties, which was pitifully small. The rice seeds bought from Wang Sanhu are slightly better, but the average yield per mu is only about 120 jin.

For two hundred acres of wheat, a total of 15,000 catties of wheat was harvested, and for more than two hundred acres of rice, a total of 27,000 catties of rice was harvested.

If these wheat and rice are husked and ground to grind rice, a lot will have to be lost.

Wu Nuo remembered reading the news that the yield of hybrid rice was more than 400 kilograms per mu. On the eve of his crossing, the yield of the latest super rice could even reach 1,000 kilograms per mu, a difference of more than ten times.

Although Wu Nuo was mentally prepared at the beginning, knowing that the rice and wheat yields he had grown would definitely not be as good as modern ones, he did not expect the gap to be so large. If it weren't for the white sweet potatoes at the bottom, relying on these rice and wheat alone, it would be good to say that the harvest will be good. If there is no harvest in a disaster year, I don't know how many people will starve to death.

Although the output of rice and wheat is far less than that of white sweet potatoes, they are much easier to store than white sweet potatoes. After drying, they can be stored in granaries and stored properly for a year or two.

In addition to storage, white sweet potatoes can only be made into vermicelli or dried sweet potatoes. The storage is only in the cold winter season. Vermicelli is easy to store but consumes a lot. The weather is more moldy and rotten than rice and wheat.

It is not difficult to draw a drying spell, but it consumes sorcery power. Even if all the witches in the tribe are drained, they cannot draw a drying spell for every family. And even if it is really painted, the drying spell will lose its effect as time goes by, and the witch power will gradually decay.

Therefore, even if the yield of white sweet potatoes is high, the cultivation of rice and wheat must be promoted until better storage methods are found.

The growth cycle of these rice and wheat is slightly longer than that of white sweet potatoes. In the past two years, the cold winter has come and lasted earlier and longer than in previous years. For the time being, rice and wheat can only be planted for one season.

Wu Nuo asked people to carefully select larger grains of high-quality wheat grains and grains as seeds, carefully store them, and keep them for cultivation next year. The ones that were worse were put directly into the newly built granaries and kept as rations for myself and the big witch.

Even if it is not a fragrant rice, the new rice itself has an unspeakable fragrance and a touch of sweetness, which is very delicious.

The rice Wu Nuo used to eat was all traded with Wang Sanhu. Wang Sanhu had a good relationship with him, and usually only charged him a friendly price, but the system was not so black, and every time the points were deducted, he was heartbroken.

The rice he traded was not only for him to eat alone, there was also a big white cat in the house that he fooled into being proud of as a 'rice bucket', and he also contributed the rice porridge that the big witch usually drank.

In the past six months, the points spent on buying rice alone have already exceeded 10,000 points.

Now that I finally have rice at home, I don't feel bad about eating it anymore... no wonder!