Rural Urbanites Part 4

"Okay, now before we climb down this ladder, what do you each say?" Evie questioned, standing there with her hands on her hips as the other girls just stared at her. Evie had been telling them the whole time that they had been changing from their nightclothes to their everyday wear that they didn't need to do something as stupid as cow-tipping for the rest of the trip. She had even gone over what each of the girls were supposed to do.

Evie gazed at them expectantly, and Mal naturally cracked first, unable to resist her best friend.

"I will not let Uma talk me into doing something stupid for the rest of this trip," Mal somewhat begrudgingly spoke, and Evie smiled slightly, her eyes softening significantly as she looked at her best friend lovingly. She then turned a more hardened gaze on the remainder of the girls as Uma's gaze snapped toward Mal, her eyes conveying her feelings of betrayal.

"What the---?!! That isn't how it worked!" Uma cried, and Evie just gazed insistently at the lot of them, unrelenting.

"I will not encourage Uma to do something stupid for the rest of this trip," Audrey finally recited after a few moments, referring to her exact words describing Uma as a genius for trying to get them kicked off of the farm.

"I will not let myself go along with Uma's something stupid for the rest of this trip," Jane spoke up, and Evie nodded in satisfaction.

"Now, what do you all say?"

"We will always listen to Evie," Mal, Audrey, and Jane somewhat begrudgingly monotoned in reply, and Evie puffed up happily. However, she turned her eyes to Uma, trying to coax the pirate into agreeing. Uma finally released an enormous groan before shaking her head.

"Y'all will always listen to Evie," Uma spoke up. Evie just studied Uma for a long moment, Uma returning her gaze just as intensely but with an almost challenging air surrounding her, and Evie eventually just sighed.

"Close enough," Evie muttered, and Mal squeezed her arm as she passed her by to climb down the ladder. The rest of the girls followed along, and they headed outside with Jade close behind.

Soon, they were coming into the house, and they all smiled as they saw Anne standing in the kitchen and cooking breakfast. The elderly woman turned to them and smiled happily, the wrinkles around her eyes crinkling especially with her expression.

"Good morning, girls!"

"Good morning, Miss Anne!" Audrey immediately reciprocated and the other girls wished different forms of greeting as they meandered slowly toward the table.

However, unlike the others, Uma immediately plopped down in her seat at the table, looking at the glass of milk placed next to the plates. Uma shrugged, taking a big swig of the drink and licking her lips.

"Y'know, there was a real commotion outside last night. Did y'all hear it?" Anne questioned, and Uma immediately snorted hard, covering her nose and trying to keep from sending the milk out of it as she resisted the urge to laugh. Mal giggled almost maniacally as she looked at the pirate and grinned mischievously. Audrey rolled her eyes, and Jane just looked down at the tablecloth.

For her part, Evie remained dead serious, trying to cover up the fact that something had indeed happened the previous night.

"I wonder what it could've been," Evie spoke with a lack of any emotion, and Uma reached for a napkin, trying to wipe her mouth and nose free of the milk that had come out with her laughter. Mal just grinned as she looked at Evie impishly. Evie didn't even glance at Mal, and the faerie smiled widely as she leaned against Evie heavily, simultaneously attempting to aggravate her and get closer with her.