Girls' Trip Part 6

Mal opened her eyes almost painfully as she looked at the time on the alarm clock. It was four o'clock in the morning and it was practically torture in the bed.

Nothing had gone right so far in this cursed motel, and it was by a pure miracle that Evie and Jane finally went to sleep in the midst of their fear. Audrey had finally passed out because if she closed her eyes for even a moment on a semi-comfy surface, she could go to sleep. Mal assumed Uma fell asleep because Mal hadn't heard another word from her after her angry outburst. Mal had just been terribly unlucky in the field that was sleeping well.

Mal slowly rose up and shook her head, considering going for a walk so it would perhaps help her sleep. Everyone else was asleep and she figured it probably wouldn't hurt anything if she was gone for a few minutes.

She pulled herself gently out of Evie's asleep grasp and she pulled on her shoes before quietly standing up.

"Mal? You awake?" Uma's hushed voice carried over to her, and Mal whispered an affirmation of her consciousness. "Where are you going?" the dark-skinned girl questioned, rising up herself.

"For a walk so maybe I'll get more tired," Mal responded. She approached the door and she suddenly heard the bed creak. She turned and saw that Uma was starting to put on her shoes as well.

"Mind if I join you?" Uma asked, and Mal nodded, her hand resting on the doorknob as she waited on Uma to get up.

The pirate arose and joined her nearby the door. Mal opened it carefully and the two girls slipped out, closing the door carefully behind them.

Mal sidled up to Uma and they traversed down the stairs together, walking out the door.

When they went out the door, Mal looked up at the sky and grinned at the sight of all the stars. They never failed to bring joy to the purple-haired girl. Uma gazed at them with her.

"Remember when we used to climb on the tallest building we could possibly scramble up in hopes of seeing the stars?" Mal quietly questioned, and Uma nodded, brought back to fond memories.

"Yeah, and you'd try to call up all kinds of magic so maybe we could, but never get anywhere at all," Uma chuckled, looking at Mal in an unusual show of affection.

"Those were the good old days, weren't they?" Mal asked, and Uma agreed. She looked at the stars for a moment more before glancing over at Mal.

"You ever miss them?"

"I do. A lot, actually," Mal confessed softly.

"Anything beats this, though. We're out here in the middle of the night at four in the morning at a crappy motel with bedbugs and creepy old people," Uma deadpanned, and Mal laughed at her phrasing of the situation.

"All in the name of Evie's grand girls' trip," Mal smiled, waving her arm in a grand sort of gesture. Uma nodded, concurring with Mal's statement.

"Today was rough, but everything'll go better tomorrow, I'll bet," Uma allowed a bit of optimism to shine through her normally so sarcastic exterior.

"Yeah. I think so," Mal quietly replied. They stared at the twinkling lights in the night sky a bit longer before Mal pushed herself into motion, heading toward the back of the motel.

"What're you doing?"

"Seeing what the pool looks like," Mal told her. Uma hurried quickly to follow her, feeling lucky indeed to have her best friend and partner in crime back in her life.

However, things were about to get much less lucky and peaceful with the other three girls.

Evie woke up with a start. The first thing she noticed was that Mal had completely disappeared from her side. The second thing was that her side that was against the mattress was itching terribly. Evie slowly and carefully sat up and glanced around the room.